master gunsmith? arbitrary? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > master gunsmith? arbitrary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe
Don't forget math, accounting and business courses if you want to start a business. You my have an accountant but you should always be able to check your books. Math for future courses and general business to give you an idea of the things you will need to learn other than guns.
Correct. I take that stuff for granted bc I was taught all that in high school as part of my required classes.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:29 AM   #12

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

ok thanks lol i derailed the thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
ok thanks lol i derailed the thread
No actually it probably helped it because it shows/tells others how to become a possible master smith because them business qualities are essential to a master smith as well.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:43 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21217 Times on 12048 Posts
Likes Given: 52952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
No actually it probably helped it because it shows/tells others how to become a possible master smith because them business qualities are essential to a master smith as well.
pretty much spot on. to engage in your own business and suceed, you definately need to understand much more than just working on firearms. business management, accounting, advertising, bookkeeping, legal aspects of running a business and so on. you can be a master gunsmith and make the best firearm available, but if you have no business sense, you probably won't be in business for very long.

IMO, a master gunsmith would be someone who has mastered their craft and held in high esteem by his peers as well as his customers. someone whose work is the benchmark and standard others seek to achieve.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #15

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

ahh i see now lol. My main goal is to make inexpensive firearms (some exceptions) that are quality firearms,reliable, and accurate. How would you guys describe a master gun smith?

Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
ahh i see now lol. My main goal is to make inexpensive firearms (some exceptions) that are quality firearms,reliable, and accurate. How would you guys describe a master gun smith?
someone who has mastered the art of building firearms and is held in high regard from his peers as well as his customers. someone who excells at building firearms to the highest standards and whose standards and build quality set the benchmark others try to acheive in building firearms.

inexpensive and quality do not always go hand in hand when it comes to firearms. there are some firearms manufacterers that can, because of automated machines and equipment, but it's not true in all cases.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

someone who has mastered the art of building firearms and is held in high regard from his peers as well as his customers. someone who excells at building firearms to the highest standards and whose standards and build quality set the benchmark others try to acheive in building firearms.

inexpensive and quality do not always go hand in hand when it comes to firearms. there are some firearms manufacterers that can, because of automated machines and equipment, but it's not true in all cases.
Just for S&G sake where do I fall in this Jonas? And this is the best explanation to me

Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Just for S&G sake where do I fall in this Jonas? And this is the best explanation to me
Jared, you're one of those shade tree backyard gunsmiths! LOL!

not really, just messing you Jared! well IMO, given your age and level of experiance, i would have to say that if you continue the path you are on, then you will reach the level of master gunsmith. now this is my perception of a master gunsmith, that someone who has been doing it for many, many years and is usually a much, much older person. i consider you to be very knowledgeable and qualified to build firearms and would have complete confidence in having you build a firearm for me. i have much respect and admiration on your chosen craft and value the knowledge and information i get from you. Jared, in some ways the true gunsmiths are becoming a dying breed and not many to follow in the same footsteps as these craftsmen. in short, i think you have what it takes to become one in time.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:46 PM   #19

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Try to find any gunsmith these days...

IMHO, a master gunsmith should have the skill and ability

to repair your broken gun. Any gun.

What would you think of a "master plumber"

who couldn't fix a broken pipe?

Old 06-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Jared, you're one of those shade tree backyard gunsmiths! LOL!

not really, just messing you Jared! well IMO, given your age and level of experiance, i would have to say that if you continue the path you are on, then you will reach the level of master gunsmith. now this is my perception of a master gunsmith, that someone who has been doing it for many, many years and is usually a much, much older person. i consider you to be very knowledgeable and qualified to build firearms and would have complete confidence in having you build a firearm for me. i have much respect and admiration on your chosen craft and value the knowledge and information i get from you. Jared, in some ways the true gunsmiths are becoming a dying breed and not many to follow in the same footsteps as these craftsmen. in short, i think you have what it takes to become one in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
Try to find any gunsmith these days...

IMHO, a master gunsmith should have the skill and ability

to repair your broken gun. Any gun.

What would you think of a "master plumber"

who couldn't fix a broken pipe?
Thanks Axxe. I have the skill to fix ANY gun......but the confidence for MOST wolf is right bout the plumber comparison though.