Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   master gunsmith? arbitrary? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/master-gunsmith-arbitrary-65956/)

mattybock 06-07-2012 05:44 AM

master gunsmith? arbitrary?

A few times I've see the words 'master' and 'gunsmith' come together, but only when it comes to colleges wanting to sell classes for a good deal of money.
I can understand a master gunsmith in the very old fashion guild terms, like how a painter may be called one after his guild elected him to the position of master.
But in the modern day we don't have such things.

But in your own definition - what is a master gunsmith? What can he do, or what does he do?

To me, it is arbitrary, as a persons skill with any one particular task is bound to wain and wax as time passes by. If ever there was a master gunsmith, maybe John Browning was one. He didn't make pretty things, but he made a mark on the world as we know it today.

what do you say?

Marlinman 06-07-2012 05:51 AM

There ARE still masters in gun smithin. A master is someone who specializes in one type of gun or in several processes. There still is guilds for gunsmithing as well. Its all in your point of view but anyone who knows what's great work or not great work all says my mentors work qualifies him as a master. The US Gov apparently thinks he is since he's built 18 bench rifles for the Olympic teams

JonM 06-07-2012 12:19 PM

Its about the same as calling yourself master bath towel folder...

Look at the person's actual current work and decide for yourself

beastmode986 06-07-2012 08:58 PM

I did not want to start a new thread for this question and considering this thread is about gun smiths i thought ill ask it here. When im older i want to start a gun company.What classes do you guys recommend in high school and what degree in college ??? thanks

Marlinman 06-07-2012 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beastmode986
I did not want to start a new thread for this question and considering this thread is about gun smiths i thought ill ask it here. When im older i want to start a gun company.What classes do you guys recommend in high school and what degree in college ??? thanks

Wood working, welding, cnc machine, and graphic design classes would help you.

mountainman13 06-07-2012 11:46 PM

Mechanical engineering.

Marlinman 06-07-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13
Mechanical engineering.

Don't listen to this idjit....he not know what he be talkin bout mmmmmmmmhmmmmm;) just kidding cuz actually that would be a good class also.

mountainman13 06-07-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlinman

Don't listen to this idjit....he not know what he be talkin bout mmmmmmmmhmmmmm;) just kidding cuz actually that would be a good class also.

Ahh you sob. Lol ;)

bearrwe 06-07-2012 11:55 PM

Don't forget math, accounting and business courses if you want to start a business. You my have an accountant but you should always be able to check your books. Math for future courses and general business to give you an idea of the things you will need to learn other than guns.

Marlinman 06-07-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mountainman13

Ahh you sob. Lol ;)

Damn your onto my secret;) iv actually been looking for a chance to use sling blade talk on y'all for a while now