marketing research
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > marketing research

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default marketing research

I was wondering if I could acquire some information from you long term gun shop owners. Currently I am in the process of building a marketing spreadsheet for annual sales. This is just a hypothetical best case and a worst case scenario spreadsheet. Would any of you be willing to share monthly sales figures so I can come up with a rough guesstimate of what to expect. I'm aware of the fact that many factors come into play but the more info I can obtain the better. Thank you very much!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

I am leery of answering this.
I would like more information on who the marketing spreadsheet is for, how it will be used, what information will be displayed.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #3

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would not give that information, plain and simple. If I were selling gas, cigarettes, or shoes I would be more willing to share. But with the way gun politics are going right now, you would be totally SOL as far as I'm concerned.

How much does a crack dealer make? I'm just curious, I know they have nicer cars than I do.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:34 AM   #4

Fair enough, completely understand. I am in the process of creating a business plan to open a firearms shop in Colorado . There in lies the reason for creating a spreadsheet of what my annual income may or may not be. Obviously I am unable to go to my competitors to find out this information so I was hopeful that someone in this gun forum might be able to lead me in the right direction. Perhaps a less loaded question would be to ask if any of you would be able to direct me in the right direction to develop these figures?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2866 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Try a Freedom Of Information Act request to the state you live in.

Also, Try to find out how many background checks have been done and on what type of firearm (handgun, longgun, other).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-11-2011, 03:54 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8831 Times on 3823 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

That's like asking how much the sales are at a restaurant. Mickey D's or Flo's Diner? There is a large shop and range right off I-225 in Aurora, and a local shop in Parker. Their volume and sales mix will be totally different.

Not to discourage you, but for many people, guns are a "disposable income" item- times are hard, money is tight, sales have been light the past 7-8 months in many areas (so my dealer friends tell me)

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #7

Thanks dirty old man I realize there ate different shop sizes and different regions and different clientele and different needs. Hence me me stating that there are different variables and that I am making a guesstimate. There is obviously no hard numb
ers since my store isn't even open yet. But won't I be better off with gathering as many figures is possible to make my best educated guess?

Old 10-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #8

Thanks danf, I will look in to your suggestion. I appreciate it!

Old 10-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #9

We run a nice size retail store and I'll just tell you are margins are very tight. With rent and personel are mark up is small on the guns and larger on the accessories.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #10

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmassicist View Post
Thanks dirty old man I realize there ate different shop sizes and different regions and different clientele and different needs. Hence me me stating that there are different variables and that I am making a guesstimate. There is obviously no hard numb
ers since my store isn't even open yet. But won't I be better off with gathering as many figures is possible to make my best educated guess?
As an appraiser, I'll tell you this. The variables are so diverse, especially when you don't have an existing clientele, it isn't even remotely funny.
And a gun shop makes it even harder.
First off, does any of your competition have an on-sight smith? If so, that can hurt your business.
Do they have a range, either indoor or out? That can be a deciding factor.
Do you have sales experience? This can make a huge difference. Told one man as I did his preliminary for the bank that his best bet was to hire a manager to run his business. (Not a gunshop). He asked me why, and I told him he was an a55hole and customers wouldn't return.
It took him sixty days to hire a manager, and he just about went under.
The variables are insane. Can you run on your own for twelve months? Serious funds are needed.
Repair costs, security, rent, payroll, utilities, inventory and so many other things it takes quite a while to calculate it.