Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > manufacturing a silencer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default manufacturing a silencer

I have my class 7 license to manufacture class 3 weapons.
Just wondering do you have to send in the prototype of the silencer you want to build befor building it or can it be built prior to sending it in. also does a class 7 license make you exempt from paying the 200 sot fee?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I believe you have skipped a very important part of joining the forum, please stop by the introductions and let us know who you are.
If you HAVE a class 7 license ( I have no idea what that is) to manufacture woulden't you know the answer to your own question

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Last edited by rigjumpr; 02-06-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

double post, deleted as required

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

you have to get permission first even for sot. your sot license does not exempt you from the 200$ tax per item to own them personally. your are eempt for the ones you sell to qualified individuals.

if your getting your license to make suppressors for your own use and dodge the taxes, it doesnt work that way. at some point the atf will knock on your door and inspect your books. if your not actually selling your suppressors to other people you get a free ride to jail.

this is sorta what happened to red jacket. they were telling the atf one thing and doing something else and when they got inspected they were facing jail time.

since your not connected to discovery channel and your prolly not a homicidal drug lord the atf will barbecue your rear end...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

As was said, I would expect a licensee to know this answer, or at least be professional enough to call your ATF liaison and not rely on some random interwebz poster to give you information that may or may not be factual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

if your getting your license to make suppressors for your own use and dodge the taxes, it doesnt work that way. at some point the atf will knock on your door and inspect your books. if your not actually selling your suppressors to other people you get a free ride to jail.
Yea, uhh.....

A manufacturing dealer can make as many as they want and keep them on the books as demo stock.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 02-07-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #6

I am wanting to manufacture them for sale. I have a class three license but when i applied for my ffl i marked the manufacturers box which i refer to as a class 7. I am trying to make sure i dont miss anything and am only looking for advice on the proper and correct way to do things. Whenever you speak with nfa and atf they give you answers with grey areas at times. Not looking to dodge the law and definitely doing my research before i take on this project. One thing i do is learn from my peers as much as they have to offer.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5304 Times on 2770 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
As was said, I would expect a licensee to know this answer, or at least be professional enough to call your ATF liaison and not rely on some random interwebz poster to give you information that may or may not be factual.

Yea, uhh.....

A manufacturing dealer can make as many as they want and keep them on the books as demo stock.
its a fine line between making personal toys and "engaged in the business of selling". long as your selling them as a business and you can show that your truly engaged in trying to make a profit, your right, you can make a some demos. but if what your doing is making "demos" and not selling your going to be standing before a judge.

for the OP: call the atf nfa branch and ask them straight up if you have to get the serial numbers approved before you make the unit or after you make the unit.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-08-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

You can have am 07 license but that only allows you to manufacture or assemble guns, not silencers.
You must have a SOT, for an 07 FFL its a Class 2 SOT and this allows you to buy,sell,manufacture or repair silencers.

You do not need to send the ATF a print for a silencer that you manufacture. You do need to make it, register it with the ATF via Form 2, get it approved and then to a Form 4 to transfer it to an individual if you sell it to them. If you sell to another dealer that has an 02 or 03 SOT, then you need to do a Form 3 which is a tax exempt dealer to dealer transfer. It is time consuming.

The SOT costs 500 a year, if you make less than 500K a year and 1000 a year if you make more than that. It must be renenewed every year before June 1. Once you have the first one, the ATF will send you a renewal reminder sometime in April or May.

Its the SOT that exempts you from paying the 200 fee, not the FFL.

07/02 FFL
AR CHL inst.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #9

Okay spoke with NFA finally. I have all the correct paperwork. (FFL manufacturers license plus the SOT) When manufacturing a product to sell you fill out the form 2 and send it in. If you are manufacturing for your self you do the form 4 and pay the tax. The 500 SOT license allows you to make up to a certain number after that number then you have to pay the 1000.00 SOT license. Was headed in the right direction just needed the form 2 instead of the other. Thanks for your input.