Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Making my AR full auto legal...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Making my AR full auto legal...

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but if I wanted to make my AR15 to full auto buy installing say for instance a Geissele Super Select-Fire (SSF®) Trigger in my lower, would this be ok if I went through all the Class 3 ATF paperwork or would this fall under manufacturing where I would need to have a class 3 dealer or manufactor perform this and so forth?

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Not sure if the SSF itself will make full auto. But NFA rules aply.
This is what i found so far..

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/416505_Geissele_ssf_trigger_.html

Other members please give inputs, i would like to know too

Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7557 Times on 3290 Posts
Likes Given: 1121

No. No additional full auto firearms can be licensed by private citizens. Only those already registered by May 1986 may be transferred between private parties. Which is why a LEGAL, TRANSFERABLE M16 now sells for between $16,000 and $20,000.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 04-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16818 Times on 9746 Posts
Likes Given: 43875

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropZone889 View Post
I hope this isn't a stupid question, but if I wanted to make my AR15 to full auto buy installing say for instance a Geissele Super Select-Fire (SSF®) Trigger in my lower, would this be ok if I went through all the Class 3 ATF paperwork or would this fall under manufacturing where I would need to have a class 3 dealer or manufactor perform this and so forth?
i think you're going to need more than just a trigger. like the entire lower, sear, hammer and about 10 years of your life in federal prison.

you can't register it or apply for tax stamp for it because it didn't exist as a fully auto firearm before 1986.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 983 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1776

C3 is right , I believe the only way is to buy a pre 86 registered sear which will not fit in the standard ar15 lower anyway without major modification . Registered sears were bringing $10,00-$12,000 before all the panic . I havent even taken a look at what they are currently bringing because I couldnt own one in IL if one was available anyway .
Just the Select fire trigger group isnt going to work for you so dont bother wasting your money on something you couldnt use or legally own anyway . If you really must have a select fire break out your big bucks or go the cheap route and get a bump fire stock . S/F is fun but it truly is a ammo waster . I prefer mine one at a time right where Im aiming

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #6

Liked 1691 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 355

The other way is to buy a RDIAS (registered drop-in auto sear). There are a few out there that were made prior to 1986 and are transferable. They run about $10,000 and are about as common as hen's teeth. But, if you look hard enough you may be able to find one.

The sear is the registered part in this case, you should still find a good Licensed dealer who specializes in NFA items to help you find one and run you through the process.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

A registered auto-sear or lightning link.

No offense and none taken

Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Now if your a FFL/class 3 dealer can you make a full auto say m4 but you can't transfer it to a private person say with a tax stamp? Is that correct?

Also how is that my LGS/Range can rent out full auto guns? Is there something in a trust/LLC that allows the use of the weapon while in their supervision or is it like a umbrella coverage because wouldn't that be like possession under the BATF?

SA XD-40 V10 (Ported) 40 S&W
New Frontier Stripped Lower
RRA LPK (Lower parts kit)
More to come....

"Don't thik of it as 'Gun Control', think of it as "Victim disarmament". If we make enough laws, we can ALL be criminals".

Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 135

I wish the 1986 law would be overturned

I would go for the registered machine gun so long as you could make them again, just because if we could undue the 1986 law then eventually I think we could remove the registry and do what we do now with all guns, a simple background check

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

A dealer MIGHT be fortunate enough to come into possession of a current presample. But I don't think he could convert a semi-automatic to a machinegun.

No offense and none taken

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 04-24-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Closed Thread