M16A1 Carbine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > M16A1 Carbine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default M16A1 Carbine

Hi all, new member here, and I have question for all you experts. We are the proud owners of an all original Colt M16A1 Carbine. My question for all of you is, if I purchase a Mil-Spec Spikes Tactical upper with the full auto bolt carrier will the weapon fire as well as with the original Colt upper? And also, will this affect the value? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 183 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Do you not have the matching upper? I guess I am having issues understanding why you would want to change it out...... I would imagine it would decrease the value substantially. It would no longer be considered an "all original colt M16a1.. It would be an m16 lower receiver with a spikes upper. Colts hold their value better than any other brand of the platform. If you get the other upper, I definitely would not part with the matching upper, so if the time came to sell you could offer the original weapon, and the newer upper if they wanted it. Just my .02

Old 06-16-2014, 02:36 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21251 Times on 12066 Posts
Likes Given: 53027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter View Post
Do you not have the matching upper? I guess I am having issues understanding why you would want to change it out...... I would imagine it would decrease the value substantially. It would no longer be considered an "all original colt M16a1.. It would be an m16 lower receiver with a spikes upper. Colts hold their value better than any other brand of the platform. If you get the other upper, I definitely would not part with the matching upper, so if the time came to sell you could offer the original weapon, and the newer upper if they wanted it. Just my .02

i'm wondering if he's trying to save his upper assembly from wear, and wanting another upper so he can enjoy the rifle?

Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i'm wondering if he's trying to save his upper assembly from wear, and wanting another upper so he can enjoy the rifle?
I am wondering the same, if so, that makes total and complete sense. But...... Vague post is vague. Reminds me of the facespace posts I see all day
Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21251 Times on 12066 Posts
Likes Given: 53027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter View Post
I am wondering the same, if so, that makes total and complete sense. But...... Vague post is vague. Reminds me of the facespace posts I see all day
that would be the only reason i could see. if he has an original M16A1, it's worth about $15-20K to the right person if it's all original would be my guess. trying to sell it it with a different and non-original upper would probably seriously decrease it's potential value.

Old 06-16-2014, 04:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
that would be the only reason i could see. if he has an original M16A1, it's worth about $15-20K to the right person if it's all original would be my guess. trying to sell it it with a different and non-original upper would probably seriously decrease it's potential value.
It's a full gun, all you guys are correct in that we are trying to save the upper. We have well enjoyed the gun as is. Just want to keep the original Colt upper in good shape. We have actually been offered over $20k from a dealer because of the shape it's in. I really appreciate all of your responses. My apologies for how vague the post was.

Do you guys believe the Spikes is capable of handling the full auto fire?

Once again, thanks to all of you for the replys.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I don't see why it wouldn't be able to, and long as you have the correct BCG. I may not have a ton of experience with FA weapons (some, but not a lot), but my two recommendations would be making sure whatever upper you get has a heavier profiled barrel, and talking to someone from spikes to see what they recommend for your application. On a side note, I am jealous. Have fun, and most importantly POST PICS!