Lost a customer today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Lost a customer today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lost a customer today

I was awaiting transfer of a handgun from one of the wholesale to public dealers. I know how these guys can be slack at times since they dump at cost for cash flow. I called and got this response...We tried to call you and couldn't find your info. I was ok at that point, it is not the first time I have sent my license multiple times He goes on to say "we tried to find you on the internet, but we ended up using another FFL" They never tried to contact me, nor did the customer.
This is just a heads up to new potential FFLs, Knowing there is a gun out there somewhere and you are expecting it. I've heard horror stories where on gunbroker auctions, firearms get sent straight to the non-licensee due to address mistakes. I called the customer and left a message with with the details I was given. I have not heard back, so I probably lost one today. I was a little more concerned with where the gun was though...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3104 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

I try to FAX a copy of FFL to the seller with the customer's order # (even if I've done business with them times before). My customers know that and I ask for confirmation from the seller that they received all my info (email). So far, I have not lost an order.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-28-2010, 02:01 AM   #3

i send them how the shipper prefers, I had to fax 3 times to one outfit. Whats funny, I document all this with the customer so he know what to expect. One of regulars was the unfortunate victim, the shipper told a different story after I already forwarded all communication. The moral is, cover your butt. The license is too valuable to lose. BTW- this thread is not designed to knock the big guys, I've bought from them for my own stock and developed a relationship where they would sell to me cheaper than the regular distributors. Figured I'd though that out there since I'm the new guy and the forum does not take my post the wrong way. I know how things can be "mis-read" on message boards

Old 08-28-2010, 02:22 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3104 Times on 1784 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Thanks for the heads up.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I showed up at my shop one morning many years ago, and there were several boxes stacked against the front door.

My UPS driver was out that day and the replacement driver just followed the logical delivery route which brought him to my shop before I arrived. But those boxes stacked in front of my door all contained guns. Oops.

Never lost any guns though.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
Jay

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

When I order from my dealer, he makes the call on speaker-phone while I'm sitting right there.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-28-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I showed up at my shop one morning many years ago, and there were several boxes stacked against the front door.

My UPS driver was out that day and the replacement driver just followed the logical delivery route which brought him to my shop before I arrived. But those boxes stacked in front of my door all contained guns. Oops.

Never lost any guns though.
Had the same thing happen to me .. I know my regular UPS driver and he always knocks and has me sign for my gun deliveries. I was expecting a long gun and came home to find the box leaning up against my door under the carport. I called right away to UPS to ream them out about this and they explained that the regular driver had been out that day and the replacement driver must have overlooked that a signature was reuqired for delivery.

I was lucky that day but how many guns do you think end up stolen due to this kind of neglect ?

Sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread Zombie..

Old 08-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #8

no problem, this is all good info. Had the same thing happen as well. except, they left my rifles at the mailbox...1/4 mile away I was on the phone as well. the only good thing, my place is off the beaten path. If you drive past my mailbox, you are either lost or invited.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieDefense View Post
I was a little more concerned with where the gun was though...
What are the chances that it'll show up at your place anyhow?
What do you do if it does?

Old 08-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #10

as in the original post, it was shipped to another FFL. It would be transfered to the individual if it arrived at my place, or retured if necessary.