Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Lost a customer today (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/lost-customer-today-30978/)

ZombieDefense 08-28-2010 12:29 AM

Lost a customer today

I was awaiting transfer of a handgun from one of the wholesale to public dealers. I know how these guys can be slack at times since they dump at cost for cash flow. I called and got this response...We tried to call you and couldn't find your info. I was ok at that point, it is not the first time I have sent my license multiple times:confused: He goes on to say "we tried to find you on the internet, but we ended up using another FFL" They never tried to contact me, nor did the customer.
This is just a heads up to new potential FFLs, Knowing there is a gun out there somewhere and you are expecting it. I've heard horror stories where on gunbroker auctions, firearms get sent straight to the non-licensee due to address mistakes. I called the customer and left a message with with the details I was given. I have not heard back, so I probably lost one today. I was a little more concerned with where the gun was though...

danf_fl 08-28-2010 12:48 AM

I try to FAX a copy of FFL to the seller with the customer's order # (even if I've done business with them times before). My customers know that and I ask for confirmation from the seller that they received all my info (email). So far, I have not lost an order.

ZombieDefense 08-28-2010 01:01 AM

i send them how the shipper prefers, I had to fax 3 times to one outfit. Whats funny, I document all this with the customer so he know what to expect. One of regulars was the unfortunate victim, the shipper told a different story after I already forwarded all communication. The moral is, cover your butt. The license is too valuable to lose. BTW- this thread is not designed to knock the big guys, I've bought from them for my own stock and developed a relationship where they would sell to me cheaper than the regular distributors. Figured I'd though that out there since I'm the new guy and the forum does not take my post the wrong way. I know how things can be "mis-read" on message boards;)

danf_fl 08-28-2010 01:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up.

M14sRock 08-28-2010 04:37 AM

I showed up at my shop one morning many years ago, and there were several boxes stacked against the front door.

My UPS driver was out that day and the replacement driver just followed the logical delivery route which brought him to my shop before I arrived. But those boxes stacked in front of my door all contained guns. Oops.

Never lost any guns though.

Jay 08-28-2010 10:04 AM

When I order from my dealer, he makes the call on speaker-phone while I'm sitting right there.

TheOldMan 08-28-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 339913)
I showed up at my shop one morning many years ago, and there were several boxes stacked against the front door.

My UPS driver was out that day and the replacement driver just followed the logical delivery route which brought him to my shop before I arrived. But those boxes stacked in front of my door all contained guns. Oops.

Never lost any guns though.

Had the same thing happen to me .. I know my regular UPS driver and he always knocks and has me sign for my gun deliveries. I was expecting a long gun and came home to find the box leaning up against my door under the carport. I called right away to UPS to ream them out about this and they explained that the regular driver had been out that day and the replacement driver must have overlooked that a signature was reuqired for delivery.

I was lucky that day but how many guns do you think end up stolen due to this kind of neglect ?

Sorry, did not mean to hijack your thread Zombie..

ZombieDefense 08-28-2010 11:42 AM

no problem, this is all good info. Had the same thing happen as well. except, they left my rifles at the mailbox...1/4 mile away:eek: I was on the phone as well. the only good thing, my place is off the beaten path. If you drive past my mailbox, you are either lost or invited.

jetgirl 08-28-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieDefense (Post 339755)
I was a little more concerned with where the gun was though...

What are the chances that it'll show up at your place anyhow?
What do you do if it does?

ZombieDefense 08-28-2010 03:53 PM

as in the original post, it was shipped to another FFL. It would be transfered to the individual if it arrived at my place, or retured if necessary.