Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Looking to get an FFL (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/looking-get-ffl-75610/)

Kamarathin 11-04-2012 03:20 AM

Looking to get an FFL

Hello all,

I'm currently researching what goes into getting an FFL and this includes getting as many links, pieces of advice, recommendations and warnings I can find.

Is there any you folks can provide?

c3shooter 11-04-2012 03:40 AM

Greetings! This has been talked about quite a bit here- search the FFL topic for threads that have kicked this around.

In a nutshell, there are 2 licenses most commonly sought- an 01 Dealer, and an 03 Collector of Curio & Relics. For an 01, you must intend to "engage in the business" of buying, selling or repairing guns. You CANNOT get an 01 FFL for personal use.

An 03 is good, but only covers guns that are 50 yrs old or older, except for some newer guns that have been designated collector's items.

For an 01, you must be in compliance with state and local laws- including things like ZONING, and having a business license. Required before ATF will issue permit. Storefront is NOT required, but you must have designated premises and hours of operation.

RobertsDefense 11-04-2012 04:13 AM

+1 to C3's answer. I have a class 7 and the BATFE checked two things primarily. #1 business license #2 was I violating any local zoning ordinances. I lucked out because I know our local zoning guy pretty well and he didn't have any issues (so I didn't have to go in front of the town board for approval).

Once you get past those two issues the form is pretty easy to fill out. If you call the BATFE they will send you the form and pre-printed finger print cards. Fill it out and send in the form, finger print card, and check. You will need to take a copy of the app to your local chief law enforcement agent (in my case the county sherriff) and notify you are applying for your license. They do not need to approve the form, you just need to notify them.

I would recommend you set up an LLC and issue the license as a DBA. For example: ABC Enterprises LLC dba John's guns or something like that.

If you need any help, let me know or just call the BATFE, they are usually pretty easy to get answers from.

Kamarathin 11-04-2012 04:59 PM

Thank you very much. I'm in Houston (Harris County specifically) and there are, as far as I know, no zoning issues. I plan on getting the FFL as a precursor to opening up a store further down the road.

Currently in the process of getting various instructor certificates through NRA as well as my CHL instructor license.

I've already got a corporation for another business I run (completely unrelated to firearms) so I can do an easy DBA under that one. The challenges for me will be the FFL and getting a crash course on the "gun store" daily routine and business plan.

Pretty darn excited about the possibilities here.

Moby 11-04-2012 05:04 PM

Thanks for posting that.
I've been looking into the same as I plan on opening/operating a range near southern Dallas.

RobertsDefense 11-05-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamarathin (Post 1001559)
I've already got a corporation for another business I run (completely unrelated to firearms) so I can do an easy DBA under that one. The challenges for me will be the FFL and getting a crash course on the "gun store" daily routine and business plan.

Pretty darn excited about the possibilities here.

If you need a business plan, contact Sumner Douglas at VC Plans. www.vcplans.com He is a VERY good guy to work with and did our plan. He can walk you through a TON of questions and info you need to really explore for a new business.

Good luck to you!

Kamarathin 11-05-2012 03:18 PM

Oh groovy, thank you