Letter to local PD for FFL

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Letter to local PD for FFL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Letter to local PD for FFL

I am in the process of aligning my ducks for a retail gun store. As for the letter to the local police chief , am I supposed to write as to intent to open ? or as a request to open and wait for a reply ?

Sorry for the dumb question but I have looked and all I can find is that you have to inform, nothing as to content of the letter..

Thank all.

There is a lot of good info in this section. I have been on here for years and never even been in here. Guess I have been missing out.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
I am in the process of aligning my ducks for a retail gun store. As for the letter to the local police chief , am I supposed to write as to intent to open ? or as a request to open and wait for a reply ?

Sorry for the dumb question but I have looked and all I can find is that you have to inform, nothing as to content of the letter..

Thank all.

There is a lot of good info in this section. I have been on here for years and never even been in here. Guess I have been missing out.
All I did was drop off a copy of the ATF application. Didn't have to a do a letter at all and as far as I know there is no ATF requirement to do one.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ok Thanks Silverado, all I can find is you must inform the local pd of intent to open. I guess that would do it, I think I might attach a letter too just as a courtesy.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

How has your venture gone so far ?? is it taking off ? I know the economy is bad but firearms and ammo are booming everywhere..

Old 08-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #5

Well I'm home based right now but it has kept me busy so far. I had almost 4k in sales last month which was my first month, so nowhere to go but up. Just to add make sure you talk to your zoning department for your city or county to make sure you're good. They can be a show stopper so it's better to know where they stand before waisting your time with the ATF.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Last edited by silverado113; 08-03-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

WOW thats awesome, good for you !!! I can only hope to do that well..

I'm sure you will get sick off my questions before I finally get my FFL in hand lol

Old 08-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmboyz View Post
WOW thats awesome, good for you !!! I can only hope to do that well..

I'm sure you will get sick off my questions before I finally get my FFL in hand lol
Ha, that's not Gross not Net. I'm still running in the red but it's a start. Good luck and if you need anything or have a question shoot me a PM.

Member:

Old 08-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Ya I figured it as gross, but your moving product and thats the important part

Old 08-03-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9170 Times on 3959 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

FWIW, I am an 03, not an 01, but have to do the same things with local Chief LEO when renewing.

What I do is attach a cover letter that says something to the effect of:

Dear Sheriff Jones:

I am in the process of renewing my FFL as a Collector. As the Chief Law Enforcement Officer, regulations of the BATFE require that I notify you of this by a copy of my renewal application. This is attached as a courtesy to you, and no action is required of your office.

Sincerely,

C3Shooter
Member, Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
FWIW, I am an 03, not an 01, but have to do the same things with local Chief LEO when renewing.

What I do is attach a cover letter that says something to the effect of:

Dear Sheriff Jones:

I am in the process of renewing my FFL as a Collector. As the Chief Law Enforcement Officer, regulations of the BATFE require that I notify you of this by a copy of my renewal application. This is attached as a courtesy to you, and no action is required of your office.

Sincerely,

C3Shooter
Member, Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
The membership status is a nice touch. I may have to add that My CLEO actually acted as if I was bothering him by letting him know. He could care less but I'm sure he's the exception.

Member: