Legal sound suppression?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Legal sound suppression?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4864 Times on 2424 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

Default Legal sound suppression?

Hi all, I have a question. Shooting subsonic ammo out of my .22 rifle is pretty quiet, quiet enough that I can hear without ear protection the "click" of the hammer, etc... I was thinking about this as a project.

Inside the stock the foregrip running down the barrel is completely hollow along with the buttstock, basically the whole plastic stock is hollow. I was thinking about putting some layers of Dynamat (sound deadening material used for cars 40mm thick) along the inside of the stock, and fiberglass filling the buttstock, thinking it is contributing to the sound. You can hear how the hollow stock "echoes" the sound when dry firing. I was also thinking about putting some of this material inside the receiver (There's plenty of room to apply this stuff without touching any of the working parts). I've got the design and plan down, I was just wondering if this could somehow be construed as "silencing" the weapon. I don't want to break any federal laws. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #2

Edit to add, this IS for perfectly legal reasons. I am allowed to shoot on my property, the neighbors just asked that I don't shoot after 8pm (which is when my no good skunk and raccoon friends come out and destroy my yard. I just want to be a good neighbor since they sleep with their windows open (They're about 500 yards to the left of my house, so don't think I live in the suburbs or anything).

Old 07-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why not just ask them if you can shoot after 8pm until you've gotten rid of the pests. Explain to them that it will be 1 shot maybe 2 and that's it. 1-2 .22 shots is different then just hitting the range at 8pm.
Do they really go to bed at 8? Have small children?

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Why not just ask them if you can shoot after 8pm until you've gotten rid of the pests. Explain to them that it will be 1 shot maybe 2 and that's it. 1-2 .22 shots is different then just hitting the range at 8pm.
Do they really go to bed at 8? Have small children?
It's not so much that to be honest, now that I've got the idea I want to test it out and see how much I can squeeze out of this design. If it completely deadens the "click" on a dry fire, I think it would be pretty interesting. I used to work with dynamat while installing home theater systems (this stuff works). I just don't want to unknowingly violate the law. Plus, it would be good to know when I finally do get a suppressor (legally, of course).

Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how modifying a stock could be viewed as building a silencer of any sort. People modify stocks everyday, all day, to fit their preferences.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I don't see how modifying a stock could be viewed as building a silencer of any sort. People modify stocks everyday, all day, to fit their preferences.
That doesn't have me worried, what makes me wonder is the addition of installing it in the receiver.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #7

Liked 214 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Shouldn't be illegal. You're not muffling the "report" of the weapon, so therefore should be fine. SHOULD being the key word.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:56 AM   #8

Liked 1462 Times on 819 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Just cough up the cash for the can and the tax stamp and shoot all night!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4167 Times on 2343 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

You may want to also check out the BATF.gov website.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #10

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Just cough up the cash for the can and the tax stamp and shoot all night!
WORD!

I just got my Marlin 60 threaded for my YHM Mite. Can is small enough I can still get the mag tube in and out with the can installed. It sounds like a grasshopper ( Actual quote from the gentleman shooting beside me at the range yesterday) when firing Remington Subsonic, you really only hear the action. I found that the Aguila 60gr subsonic isnt accurate for **** past 25 yards, while the Rem Subsonic maintains a clover-leafed hole at 50yards.

Remind your neighbors that you are allowed to shoot on your property, and you live in the rural for a reason. Id not bow to a picky neighbor. Tell em to move to the city if they dont like the noise.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?