Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   just a quick question. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/just-quick-question-59205/)

Alwayscarrying 03-02-2012 12:53 AM

just a quick question.

I want to start doing custom ar builds to make some extra money. Would i need an ffl to do this?

Rick1967 03-02-2012 01:50 AM

Many of us build our own ARs. If you buy a stripped lower, that is legally a firearm. It has the serial number already on it. Unless you are planning on manufacturing the stripped lower yourself there shouldnt be a problem.

Then again if you plan on buying and selling to make a profit that is another area I am not familiar with.

Alwayscarrying 03-02-2012 02:13 AM

I recently bought a palmetto and several of my coworkers are jealous and want an AR of their own but dont have the money. Since Ive known the AR platform for quite some time i thought i might help out and build them for a bit cheaper and just get reimbursed plus a little extra for labor and time.

danf_fl 03-02-2012 02:35 AM

I would suggest that you get an FFL and business license.

Modifications can be construed as "manufacturing"

c3shooter 03-02-2012 03:16 AM

If you are "engaged in the business" of buying and selling guns, you need a Dealer's FFL. MAKING a firearm for sale- manufacturer's FFL.

"Engaged in the business" means devoting time and attention to it with the intention of making a livelihood. So says the ATF.

If I buy a gun, later decide I like something else and want to sell it- NOT engaged in the business. Even if I make a small profit.

I buy 6 guns, resell 5 of them to my friends in a short time- you are engaging in the business. There is no set number of guns or time. I know of one man charged after selling one gun. Bought it dirt cheap at a gun show, IMMEDIATELY put it up for sale at a higher price. Guy that sold it to him was an ATF agent.

Mason609 03-02-2012 11:17 AM

"devoting time and attention to it with the intention of making a livelihood"

C3, couldn't that part cover other people as well? For instance, armorers, instructors, competitive shooters?

This is more a curiosity thing than anything else.

JonM 03-02-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609 (Post 726138)
"devoting time and attention to it with the intention of making a livelihood"

C3, couldn't that part cover other people as well? For instance, armorers, instructors, competitive shooters?

This is more a curiosity thing than anything else.

The people you mention arent selling firearms but firearm related products and services. Big difference

Mason609 03-02-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 726248)
The people you mention arent selling firearms but firearm related products and services. Big difference

Well, C3 said " "Engaged in the business" means devoting time and attention to it with the intention of making a livelihood. So says the ATF."

That line doesn't specifically say sales, that's why I asked.

JonM 03-02-2012 02:46 PM

its referring to sales of actual firearms.

Alwayscarrying 03-02-2012 04:18 PM

Dang. Thats a lot of info. Id just be be buying stripped receivers and building them from there. So a manufacturers ffl and a business license would pretty much do it?