Interview with BATF on Wednesday... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Interview with BATF on Wednesday...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So if I understand you correctly, you are simply buying and selling but not under a company name right? What about state tax and all that on your sales ? Sorry for so many questions but I'm looking to apply for mine and any help I can get from you would be great..

I was thinking that I would have to start an LLC or other business and apply for state tax ID number etc...

Old 01-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The issue of business or mercantile licenses varies everywhere from state to state and within states. Where I do business, there is no requirement to have one. You just need your sales tax license to collect the same and that's easily available from the Commonwealth. You have to post the license, though, in a readily visible place in the business establishment. I was never asked to produce proof of the local license requirement when I was inspected.

First and foremost, one has to research local ordinances to see if our businesses are permissible in where you want to do business is located. You have to meet local law to start with. There may be issues locally that could impact your ability to do business. A good example is someone in this area opened a home based FFL and met everything and was approved. Later he found that his municipality had ordinances that did not prohibit him from doing a gun business but prohibited him from stocking inventory of firearms. Now, for someone like me that doesn't stock for several reasons, this would have little impact. For someone that wants to carry an inventory, this could be disasterous. His big fault was not checking into all the nuts and bolts of his local ordinances. Not an issue where I am.

The local potential or actual issues can be more of a nut to crack than the Federal requirements. I'll make the same offer I did to someone else on here in the same boat you're in, OldMan, and he took me up on my offer. I'll be glad to discuss what I went through and what works for getting your FFL if you want some brain picking time. Just send me a PM and I'll give you my contact info.

And stay away from incorporating. My wife is a senior tax advisor for H&R Block as well as being an experienced book keeper and was adamant on me not incorporating. I can explain why.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
So if I understand you correctly, you are simply buying and selling but not under a company name right? What about state tax and all that on your sales ? Sorry for so many questions but I'm looking to apply for mine and any help I can get from you would be great..

I was thinking that I would have to start an LLC or other business and apply for state tax ID number etc...
I do have a company name, but you don't need one. The only reason I have one is because I already have a metalworking shop with a website, checking account, business cards etc... (Edge Metalworks-close enough to guns for me). You will need to set up a tax ID too but that's easy.

The ATF said I "could" set up an LLC but there's a whole other set of complications which he told me about, and honestly I forgot... But he highly suggested not doing it for those reasons.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Well since posting my last reply, I went to my city zoning enforcement office.. What I was instructed to do was first check in with the Police Dept., follow their guidlines then report back.. I am still waiting for them to contact me... My city "does" require a business license so there ya go on that... Also, my state requires that I obtain a permit to sell any firearms less than 15" in length (handguns).. this is s requirement for Georgia and requirres me to send the app "with" my 01 ffl attached... I do plan to form an LLC simply for the liabilty protection... I do not get a warm fuzy from BATF suggestions.. I want to make sure I do not get nailed for anything personally If ya know what I mean...

Old 01-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #25

Boy I guess I'm glad I don't live in Georgia... Good luck!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow! One part threw me. Having to talk to the PD before zoning will talk to you. I'm not sure I follow that logic when a zoning board has the final say on what can be done or built where in a municipality that has one set up.

As to incorporating, it's not best or right for everyone by far. There's a lot involved that most don't understand or are told about. This is something that you MUST look into carefully and get all of the facts before making this crucial decision. There are other ways to protect yourself.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #27

Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
Wow! One part threw me. Having to talk to the PD before zoning will talk to you. I'm not sure I follow that logic when a zoning board has the final say on what can be done or built where in a municipality that has one set up.

As to incorporating, it's not best or right for everyone by far. There's a lot involved that most don't understand or are told about. This is something that you MUST look into carefully and get all of the facts before making this crucial decision. There are other ways to protect yourself.
What you missed was Georgia and Logic One has nothing to do with the other.

It is just another hoop to jump through, it will be worth it in the long run.

Carl Sagan

Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
What you missed was Georgia and Logic One has nothing to do with the other.
While I'm unfamiliar with Georgia's laws, considering government in general, you make a good point.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Chainfire - BATF only requires a pro forma letter to the chief Leo informing him/her that you have/are planning to apply for an FFL - you don't need permission (as you would if you wanted to get a suppressor or full auto) so I'm also confused. Federal law trumps State, city, county, whatever. Zoning is a different story, that's a local issue. When I first went to zoning to get approval they handed me the permit and then asked me if I could get him a good deal on a Henry. It's a southern thang.

Last edited by Belltactical; 01-31-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 AM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Good luck and please be safe