Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Interview with BATF on Wednesday...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Have to wait till State permit comes in.

Last edited by joehawk; 01-21-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Basically, what they want to see is the gun safe, lockable files for your records, a sign posting hours of operation. Your "office" should look like a place of business. I had my office set up in this fashion and the inspector took not even 2 minutes to realize that I was in compliance and we moved on to other things like record keeping, etc. The agent that came here was enthusiastic about getting all of my questions answered to my satisfaction and it was a completely positive experience. He was here for probably about two hours and I picked his brain. You might want to spend some time writing down what questions you want to ask him so you don't forget when the time comes. It'd be in your best interest to take full advantage of the time spent.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:03 AM   #13

I was told when I met with my investigator that it was a requirement to either keep them seperate or have them tagged. I would say it is different for every state, every investigator.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Federal law would not vary state to state but I'm sure every investigator has their own way...

Old 01-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #15

Believe it or not my investigator gave me a cd of the different states requirements and said that it saved paper to give out the cd so you could look up each states requirements. I would agree with you, I am sure the part that is federal law doesn't change but maybe the separation of personal and sale guns is just an extra law adopted in some states.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #16

Had my interview today. I wrote down all these points (and a bunch of other questions I had) and we addressed them seperately. I explained to him that I would eventually be selling in my detached garage, but for now, would be selling from my kitchen table. I would be storing the guns in my basement safes.

He was very nice, and we never left the kitchen table. He said there's no regulation about any kind of safe at all and never asked to see them, just need some sort of secure location which could even be a closet with trigger or cable locks on the guns. No need for 2 safes or even one. Not that it matters to me since I'll be having them.

Also said the guns can just be tagged seperately, no need for seperation of them, but it's a good idea. They do need to have some sort of "differentation" though... either tags or different locations.

Also... no need for: lockable file cabinets, posted signs, office area, posted sign hours, security systems, storefronts, special insurance, or business name in the paper.

The interview was super easy, and I kept waiting for him to really pound in the fact that I need to be "in this to SELL not just collect" but he only mentioned it one brief time. He said all was good to go and my license should arrive in a couple weeks! Can't wait!! Thanks for all your help.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #17

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I can't help but wonder why they want you to be selling and not collecting. Is there a collector's license other than the c&r?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The whole point of having a dealer's license is to be a dealer, not a collector. That's why they stress this point. Buying for yourself is just a perk of the license. They really don't care how many guns you buy for yourself, so as long as you are selling them also.

From an industry standpoint, I can see why this should be. If everyone that just wanted to have a number of guns became a type 1 dealer or better, why would you have to buy from a retailer. It would seriously shoot the industry in the foot (no pun intended).

Old 01-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So you still have to have a business license though correct? I mean you have to be a "business".. you just don't have to advertise if you're selling out of your home... That's what you mean right?

NRA Life Member

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Poloticians ignore the others"

Old 01-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
So you still have to have a business license though correct? I mean you have to be a "business".. you just don't have to advertise if you're selling out of your home... That's what you mean right?
Certain cities do not require you to have a "business license". Luckily mine does not. The ATF either needs to see a business License or a letter from the city saying they don't require one, so that's what they gave me.