Interview with BATF on Wednesday...
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Interview with BATF on Wednesday...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Interview with BATF on Wednesday...

Going for my 01 and my interview is coming up this Wednesday, looking for any tips or questions I should ask, or if you have a question you'd like me to ask him.

Will be a home based business in WI, and I have my letter of Approval for the town. (no license needed)

If you can think of anything, let me know please. I'll let you know how it went.
Can't wait to start selling!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #2

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I am no expert when it comes to being an FFL however I picked up a 1911 from a home operated FFL yesterday and the guy made it clear that he had to protect his house from intruders more than anyone else. The fact that you're a home FFL makes you a potential target for robberies so I'm pretty sure in the interview they'll ask how you plan on protecting your inventory. The guy had a huge dog, metal door and was carrying 1911 loaded at all times. That's my 2 cents

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 01-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Good luck with your interview. Hope everything goes smooth for you.
image-2072048851.png  

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndAmendmentFreedom View Post
I am no expert when it comes to being an FFL however I picked up a 1911 from a home operated FFL yesterday and the guy made it clear that he had to protect his house from intruders more than anyone else. The fact that you're a home FFL makes you a potential target for robberies so I'm pretty sure in the interview they'll ask how you plan on protecting your inventory. The guy had a huge dog, metal door and was carrying 1911 loaded at all times. That's my 2 cents
Yeah I've thought of that... I was a security system installer for 13 years so I have an excellent system and multiple cameras already. I also have a rottweiler and a vicious Pomeranian. And of course... I carry all the time as well as my wife who also works from home.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #5

Must have a "secure location" i.e. gun safe, gun cabinet, gun locker, or hd wire cage for your inventory I was told.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Seriusly- get a BIG legal pad, couple of good pens, some coffee, and take notes. Most of the ispectors will be about to spend some time coaching you on best practices when selling and buying. There is some good info that you want to be sure to take notes on.

Biggest obstacles on intial licensing are:1. Not being in compliance with state and local laws, and 2. Not truly intending to "engage in the business"- which IS a requirement.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehawk View Post
Must have a "secure location" i.e. gun safe, gun cabinet, gun locker, or hd wire cage for your inventory I was told.
Got 2 safes... Check.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
Got 2 safes... Check.
Also pretty sure your business stock has to be secured seperately from your personal collection. Even though your retail stock "belongs" to you, it's for retail sale and not for personal gain.. Back in the 80's there were so many folks applying for 01 FFL's at $30 a crack to be able to buy guns wholesale that the BATFE changed the rules to force you to have a store front and increased the cost for the license.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10954 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Old man is correct- any personal weapon not for sale that is physically located with your sale stock must be tagged- personal weapon- not for sale. What ATF generally looks for is "secure storage"- lockable storage area. Could be a safe, room with separate lock, etc. My LGS does not store firearms in a safe- but they are not also using the store to live in.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

No separation of business stock and personal collection or tagging of personal collection required. I recently got hit with an inspection upon a renewal and this was not an issue at all. The inspector liked that I had labeled shelves in the safe as "personal" and "business stock" and said she wished everyone would do that, but it was not necessary. I only did it because I'm anal with that kind of stuff...