Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Inform Police or Sheriff? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/inform-police-sheriff-26422/)

lkd 04-24-2010 12:52 AM

Inform Police or Sheriff?

I live in a city in Texas (Pflugerville), but in a neighborhood that's apparently outsize the zone where the city police respond to ( If we need law enforcement, we have to call the county sheriff). Does that mean that when I apply for my FFL, I need to inform the sheriff and not the city police chief, or both?

c3shooter 04-24-2010 01:18 AM

You can (and should) check with the ATF licensing section- however, as I understand the regulation, it says "Chief law enforcement officer of the area where the premises are located".

If the town police department does not provide service to the physcical location where the licensed premises are located, and the Sheriff's Dept DOES, I would read that as the Sheriff being the CLEO for you.

danf_fl 04-24-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkd (Post 275122)
I live in a city in Texas (Pflugerville), but in a neighborhood that's apparently outsize the zone where the city police respond to ( If we need law enforcement, we have to call the county sheriff). Does that mean that when I apply for my FFL, I need to inform the sheriff and not the city police chief, or both?

Whoever has jurisdiction over the place of business. I live outside city limits, and only report/provide forms to the sheriff.

You should always ask the BATF if you have any questions. Get the agent's name, date of conversation, and topic written down.

Glasshartt 04-25-2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkd (Post 275122)

lkd,

How about going by the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself.

I believe that if your licensed premisis is where there is a police department, you notify the Police Dept., otherwise you notify the Sheriff's Dept, but the best bet is to check with BATF and confirm.

anm2_man 04-25-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasshartt (Post 275575)
lkd,

How about going by the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself.

I believe that if your licensed premisis is where there is a police department, you notify the Police Dept., otherwise you notify the Sheriff's Dept, but the best bet is to check with BATF and confirm.

I live in the city, the police chief has never and will never sign. We NFA owners go straight to the Sheriff. His name is Joe - the toughest Sheriff in the west.

skullcrusher 04-26-2010 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anm2_man (Post 275836)
I live in the city, the police chief has never and will never sign. We NFA owners go straight to the Sheriff. His name is Joe - the toughest Sheriff in the west.

Lucky bastage. Sheriff Joe does not care about politics. He cares about deterring crime. He is just plain awesome.

Since the Police Chief is appointed by the Mayor, there are actually more politics involved.

robocop10mm 04-26-2010 05:13 PM

I am not sure of the exact question. Are you applying for an FFL or an NFA weapon? I believe the Sheriff (Greg Hamilton 512-854-9788) will sign off. you will need to make an appointment through his secretary Jeannie.

notdku 04-26-2010 07:18 PM

Howdy! I'm not to far from you and the research I did says that you have to go to the Sheriff if you're out side the jurisdiction of the PD. I'll let you know there's no point in contacting the Constable, they don't have the authority you need.

docpadds 04-26-2010 10:31 PM

Your Sheriff is fine, just name him on the form and send him copy 2 with a nice cover letter.

lkd 04-30-2010 01:33 AM

You guys are great, thanks!

Yes, it's for an FFL.

And I will post an intro now. Sorry for putting the cart before the horse :-)