Individual Ownership Vs. NFA Trust
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Individual Ownership Vs. NFA Trust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Individual Ownership Vs. NFA Trust

I've heard a lot about these NFA trusts and some of the benefits. My question is, are there any benefits by owning NFA weapons as an individual instead of through an NFA trust?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #2

Liked 988 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 637

I looked into this. A trust is definitely more money. $600-800 if done right. Only reason I haven't done it yet. But it seems to me the benefits are more, too.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2895 Times on 1669 Posts
Likes Given: 1246

Have you looked into LLC?

As an individual, What happens to the firearm upon your demise?
As an LLC, it does not belong to one individual, but members of LLC.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #4

Kinda the same thing with the trust. You can have more than one person listed as trustee. Say you & your wife. When you die, all the items in the trust fall to her control, immediately, and with no hassle. Also, if she is named on the trust, you do not have to secure the items from her, if owned individually, you would.
But, no, I have not looked into an LLC.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Hunting with a suppressor is legal in my state. The cost however is incredible. A suppressor can cost $1,000 dollars and a 6 mos wait. The legal aspects another $1,000 dollars. This also allows the BATF to regulate your ownership and disposal of the suppressor.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5690 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

the trust is the way to go. you can add people when you want (depending on state trust law) you can add inheritance for people underage. there is no yearly fees or meetings needed as with an llc. you own the trust the trust owns the item. with a llc your under incorporation laws which can change yearly at the whim of the government.

as an individual you cannot let anyone but you utilize it outside your immediate control. if you expire it gets inherited out by your local laws on inheritance and the batfe is immediately involved similar but slightly different issues are involed with the llc.

the big differences are ease of the application proccess and inheritance possession rules all of which favor the trust.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #7

And, don't forget, if individually owned it has to be secured (locked up) from everyone in the house, including your wife.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The trust is the way to go. No CLEO sign off, no prints, no photo, transfer to trustees without ATF, IRS, or Probate hassles. You can add or change trustees, and beneficiaries any time you want, trustees can lawfully possess items listed in the trust.

It's well worth the cost.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 05-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #9

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My trust (in Florida) cost $175. I don't know about other states, but $600-$800 seems very unreasonable. Shop around a little.

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. -Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book"

Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #10

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks for all the info guys! I've never heard of any advantages to the individual possession, I just wanted to see what others had to say. Looks like there are no disadvantages to the trust route, correct?

David, I'd be interested in your experience since I live in Florida. Any other info you would like to share would be very helpful, thanks.