Import of short barreled shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Import of short barreled shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Import of short barreled shotgun

Good Day,

I'm new here and in desperate need of some information. I own a Protecta Shotgun in South Africa (12 round drum) with barrel shorter than 18". With my research I found it would be classified as a class 3 non sporting shotgun. I now live in the USA and would like to import this gun legally into the USA.

My questions are: Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Thanking you in advance.

PS. I live in UTAH

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 AM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What is the actual barrel length?

May want to contact local Sheriff's dept?

Old 12-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 2383 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 532

The importation would require compliance with federal firearms laws, as wel as import laws. Taking an existing shot gun and modifying it into a Short Barreled Shotgun has a process that I'm familiar with, but I don't knwo anything about the improtation process for a "non-sporting arm".

Old 12-01-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9394 Times on 4049 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Houston- we have a problem.

You not only have a SBS, I think you have a Destructive Device. Look up "Street Sweeper" and "Stryker 12". I do not think you will be able to import that one into the US, but you can check with the ATF Firearms Technical branch over in WV.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #5

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
The importation would require compliance with federal firearms laws, as wel as import laws. Taking an existing shot gun and modifying it into a Short Barreled Shotgun has a process that I'm familiar with, but I don't knwo anything about the improtation process for a "non-sporting arm".
Hey I was poking around the idea of a sbs for home defense. What would I have to do to legally put a shortened barrel on say a mossberg 590?

Old 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koedoe View Post
Good Day,

I'm new here and in desperate need of some information. I own a Protecta Shotgun in South Africa (12 round drum) with barrel shorter than 18". With my research I found it would be classified as a class 3 non sporting shotgun. I now live in the USA and would like to import this gun legally into the USA.

My questions are: Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Thanking you in advance.

PS. I live in UTAH
first of all, welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

second, C3 is probably correct on this about the shotgun. contact the BATF and they can give you an answer, but my best guess is, probably not going to be able to.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2026 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 771

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Hey I was poking around the idea of a sbs for home defense. What would I have to do to legally put a shortened barrel on say a mossberg 590?
It is a lot more trouble than is worth. If I am going to do something that involves a lawyer and a $200 tax stamp it's not going to be for a Mossberg some idiot sawed off with a hacksaw.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #8

Liked 53 Times on 33 Posts

Hardly a Mossberg with a hacked off barrel

Old 01-20-2014, 12:29 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9394 Times on 4049 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

WARNING ZOMBIE THREAD

The original thread was from 2012. Then someone tacked on to an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Ref: Mossberg with a barrel shorter than 18 inches- you are making a Short Barreled Shotgun. You must live in a state that permits then, apply to the BATF for permission to make a SBS, and pay the fee ($200) same as if you were buying a machine gun. WHEN you get the approval back with the stamp, THEN you could put the barrel on it.

Ref: original post- no, the revolving shotgun is hardly a mossy- but it is still a Destructive Device, and import to the US will not be permitted.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

alsaqr Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #10

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
WARNING ZOMBIE THREAD

The original thread was from 2012. Then someone tacked on to an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Ref: Mossberg with a barrel shorter than 18 inches- you are making a Short Barreled Shotgun. You must live in a state that permits then, apply to the BATF for permission to make a SBS, and pay the fee ($200) same as if you were buying a machine gun. WHEN you get the approval back with the stamp, THEN you could put the barrel on it.

Ref: original post- no, the revolving shotgun is hardly a mossy- but it is still a Destructive Device, and import to the US will not be permitted.
Yeah, I always run through the searches before starting up a new thread. Rather revive something then start a whole new one and be accused of not searching lol. So just apply for a stamp, when received, put the barrel on? Where can I apply for a sbs stamp?