Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Import of short barreled shotgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/import-short-barreled-shotgun-77449/)

Koedoe 11-30-2012 11:15 PM

Import of short barreled shotgun

Good Day,

I'm new here and in desperate need of some information. I own a Protecta Shotgun in South Africa (12 round drum) with barrel shorter than 18". With my research I found it would be classified as a class 3 non sporting shotgun. I now live in the USA and would like to import this gun legally into the USA.

My questions are: Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Thanking you in advance.

PS. I live in UTAH

1411 11-30-2012 11:51 PM

What is the actual barrel length?

May want to contact local Sheriff's dept?

SSGN_Doc 12-01-2012 12:22 AM

The importation would require compliance with federal firearms laws, as wel as import laws. Taking an existing shot gun and modifying it into a Short Barreled Shotgun has a process that I'm familiar with, but I don't knwo anything about the improtation process for a "non-sporting arm".

c3shooter 12-01-2012 02:35 AM

Houston- we have a problem.

You not only have a SBS, I think you have a Destructive Device. Look up "Street Sweeper" and "Stryker 12". I do not think you will be able to import that one into the US, but you can check with the ATF Firearms Technical branch over in WV.

austin92 01-19-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
The importation would require compliance with federal firearms laws, as wel as import laws. Taking an existing shot gun and modifying it into a Short Barreled Shotgun has a process that I'm familiar with, but I don't knwo anything about the improtation process for a "non-sporting arm".

Hey I was poking around the idea of a sbs for home defense. What would I have to do to legally put a shortened barrel on say a mossberg 590?

Axxe55 01-19-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koedoe (Post 1033919)
Good Day,

I'm new here and in desperate need of some information. I own a Protecta Shotgun in South Africa (12 round drum) with barrel shorter than 18". With my research I found it would be classified as a class 3 non sporting shotgun. I now live in the USA and would like to import this gun legally into the USA.

My questions are: Is this possible and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Thanking you in advance.

PS. I live in UTAH

first of all, welcome to the forum! stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone.

second, C3 is probably correct on this about the shotgun. contact the BATF and they can give you an answer, but my best guess is, probably not going to be able to.

John_Deer 01-19-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin92 (Post 1486284)
Hey I was poking around the idea of a sbs for home defense. What would I have to do to legally put a shortened barrel on say a mossberg 590?

It is a lot more trouble than is worth. If I am going to do something that involves a lawyer and a $200 tax stamp it's not going to be for a Mossberg some idiot sawed off with a hacksaw.

awahlster 01-19-2014 09:53 PM

Hardly a Mossberg with a hacked off barrel

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/image...9/protecta.jpg

c3shooter 01-19-2014 11:29 PM

WARNING ZOMBIE THREAD

The original thread was from 2012. Then someone tacked on to an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Ref: Mossberg with a barrel shorter than 18 inches- you are making a Short Barreled Shotgun. You must live in a state that permits then, apply to the BATF for permission to make a SBS, and pay the fee ($200) same as if you were buying a machine gun. WHEN you get the approval back with the stamp, THEN you could put the barrel on it.

Ref: original post- no, the revolving shotgun is hardly a mossy- but it is still a Destructive Device, and import to the US will not be permitted.

austin92 01-20-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
WARNING ZOMBIE THREAD

The original thread was from 2012. Then someone tacked on to an old thread instead of starting a new one.

Ref: Mossberg with a barrel shorter than 18 inches- you are making a Short Barreled Shotgun. You must live in a state that permits then, apply to the BATF for permission to make a SBS, and pay the fee ($200) same as if you were buying a machine gun. WHEN you get the approval back with the stamp, THEN you could put the barrel on it.

Ref: original post- no, the revolving shotgun is hardly a mossy- but it is still a Destructive Device, and import to the US will not be permitted.

Yeah, I always run through the searches before starting up a new thread. Rather revive something then start a whole new one and be accused of not searching lol. So just apply for a stamp, when received, put the barrel on? Where can I apply for a sbs stamp?