I'm selling my AR. What hoops do I need to jump through?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > I'm selling my AR. What hoops do I need to jump through?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default I'm selling my AR. What hoops do I need to jump through?

I've had my AR15 for about 6 months and my friend Michelle's mom is interested in purchasing it from me. Is there any paperwork I need to have her fill out etc?? I don't wanna do this the wrong way and get bit in the a$$ in a way that would lose me my prospective place on border patrol. It's bare bones no fwd assist no ejection port cover etc etc.

Last edited by canebrake; 07-20-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2012, 07:27 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

What state do you live in? I dont believe rifles have to be registered in mi.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I live in the great (but not for shooting) state of NY

Old 07-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #4

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

U do nothin more then exchange the money for the gun.. The only way it's a bad sale is if you know the other person shouldn't own a firearm. Like she is a felon or mental problems..
I've sold 3 guns to friends and all I do is write up a bill of sale that says the serial number and the amount paid.. This way if for some reason that gun turned up at a murder scene and they traced it back to me then I can say look I sold it not my gun now..

Nys has no registration of long guns and told to me by a lgs is that after 48 hrs after u buy a gun they wipe your name from the system...

Old 07-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Hockeyjr's right. If she is in the same county as you and you know she is not legally barred from owning a firearm, a straight face-to-face sale is fine.

Make sure your AR is either pre-ban or has had the bayo lug ground off and that it doesn't have a collapsible stock. Those are NYS no-no's. Any mags greater than 10 rounds must be pre-ban or completely unmarked (including on the inside) - no stamps or marks that would allow anyone to conclude they are post-ban mags.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Liked 28 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt
Hockeyjr's right. If she is in the same county as you and you know she is not legally barred from owning a firearm, a straight face-to-face sale is fine.

Make sure your AR is either pre-ban or has had the bayo lug ground off and that it doesn't have a collapsible stock. Those are NYS no-no's. Any mags greater than 10 rounds must be pre-ban or completely unmarked (including on the inside) - no stamps or marks that would allow anyone to conclude they are post-ban mags.
Yeah forgot to mention if she lives in the 5 boroughs of the city then she needs to get her long gun permit.. I have no idea hot that goes tho..

And if u bought it from a shop here then it should be legal to own for her too.. But fault is on her anyways if she buys a bad gun..

I just got an upper receiver that I had sent to a gunsmith to get pinned and welded before I could shoot it.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:57 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nope no reason she shouldn't own a gun......except a kinda wanna date her daught and despite her daughter being 21 (2 yrs younger than me) she's still prett protective lol nothing more embarrassing than getting shot with the gun I sold her lol

Old 07-20-2012, 04:58 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In all seriousness though thanks for the great input I am no confident all my ducks are in a row

Old 07-20-2012, 05:05 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are worried about it, take it to a FFL dealer, transfer it to them, and they will have her fill out her nics and then it is all off of your shoulders. There normally is a small fee, but then you have piece of mind.

FFL / SOT.

Jpyle Likes This