Was I in the wrong? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion >

Was I in the wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 217 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 305

Trust me, the thought crossed my mind. However, I am hoping that he does the right thing and contacts someone who can tell him for sure the law. Not to mention I hate seeing bad press on firearms... It gives us all a bad name to the people who don't really understand firearms... I don't want people thinking we are all clueless.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

You could perhaps give us the name and number. If a few dozen people pester him about it, his thick skull might just thin a little.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 05-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #13

Liked 2484 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 569

I had the opposite experience at a pawn shop in GA. I walked in and looked at an AR on the wall. I got to looking at it and the bolt had two lugs broken off. I asked the shop owner if I could strip it and look inside to see if there was anything else wrong with it. Someone had put some of the full auto parts in it without the right carrier and without the ratchet mechanism because there was no third pin hole. I'm guessing that it sheared the lugs off because it didn't have the right FA disconnector in it. I told him the gun had illegal parts in it. His face went white. He called the local ATF rep and described the situation. The agent instructed him to hold the gun, and remove the trigger parts in a separate bag with the gun. They came by and picked it up. He didn't get in any trouble because he bought it in good faith and reported it as soon as he found out about it. He gave me pretty good discountss, and was happy that he didn't lose his license.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

You realize that was a near thing- you COULD have been doing business with the jerk!

And no, do not feel you were out of line. There are a very few exceptions where a shoulder stock CAN be added to a handgun without making it a SBR (off the top of my head, certain Broomhandle Mausers, Lugers, and Browning Hi Powers).

I was in my LGS one day, looking thru some used 22s, spotted a little single shot 22. On close exam, asked dealer if he had a tape measure. Yep- cut down barrel. 12 inches. NOT one of the antiques that have exceptions to barrel length. Dealer turned gray- "How did THAT get in here?" Turned out came in with an estate load of firearms the day before.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:34 PM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1466 Times on 772 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You realize that was a near thing- you COULD have been doing business with the jerk!

And no, do not feel you were out of line. There are a very few exceptions where a shoulder stock CAN be added to a handgun without making it a SBR (off the top of my head, certain Broomhandle Mausers, Lugers, and Browning Hi Powers).

I was in my LGS one day, looking thru some used 22s, spotted a little single shot 22. On close exam, asked dealer if he had a tape measure. Yep- cut down barrel. 12 inches. NOT one of the antiques that have exceptions to barrel length. Dealer turned gray- "How did THAT get in here?" Turned out came in with an estate load of firearms the day before.
Those were the only ones I could think of as well, other than the H&K VP70 pistol, where the M variant was made three-shot burst by the addition of a stock. Some of the Z variant (civilian) could mount a stock, but remained semiauto. Most of these were sold in Europe.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-12-2014, 09:12 PM   #16

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Not in the wrong at all, you were doing the guy a favor. If he wants to be a prick about it screw him.

I'm sure by now the entire US government has read this thread and is on their way to E-town.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

The ATF has the illegal gun and the name of the person that pawned it. Someone is in trouble but not the dealer. He is probably out the pawn money though. You did him a big favor.
kfox75 Likes This