Was I in the wrong?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Was I in the wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 215 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Default Was I in the wrong?

The other day I visited a pawn shop in Elizabethtown Kentucky. When I was in there I was looking over some of their firearms, which were over priced. I noticed a gsg-5 2lr (mp-5 clone) and noticed something very wrong. This particular firearm had a short barrel with a short birdcage flash hider that was not permanently attached to the barrel. Upon closer inspection I came to the conclusion that this "rifle" had started life as a pistol and someone then put a stock on it making it a short barreled rifle. There was no one to be found in the store who worked there in the few minutes I was in there and had to leave. Once I got home I called the pawn shop and told them I believed that firearm to be a SBR, and then told them it was an illegal firearm as I understood the law. I told the gentleman he may want to I quire about the law because it could cost him his business if my understanding of the law was correct. This "gentleman" then proceeded to cuss me out and tell me that he would sell it as a pistol with a rifle stock, which I told him I didn't believe was legal. After a few more minutes of cussing me he hung the phone up. Was I wrong in calling him and telling him it might be worth looking into and informing him on my interpretation of the law? Be definitely was not pleased with my phone call at all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

I don't know enough to know whether you're correct or not. Calling and telling the guy that it might be worth a second look isn't out of line IMO. He'll be a lot more pissed if it turns out you are correct and he get's shut down and prosecuted.

No good deed goes unpunished.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #3

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

He should be pleased that you chose to inform him to inquire about it with his local ATF office. You could have just called the ATF directly. Maybe his shop is being used for a Bloomberg sting.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:00 PM   #4

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts

I think I would have left it alone. I understand why you wanted to inform the gentleman. Unfortunately it sounds like he took your information as an insult. Some people just don't want to admit they might be wrong. But him knowing that the rifle might actually be an SBR might save a couple of people a headache.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8743 Times on 4711 Posts
Likes Given: 18492

The shop might be a class 3 dealer, licensed to buy and sell short barreled rifles. But then, he could have told you that.

no offense and none taken

Old 05-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #6

Liked 215 Times on 133 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Forgot to mention that. I asked if he was a class 3 dealer and he said no. I'll know next time to just keep my mouth shut. Does anyone know if I was right on my interpretation of the law? If a firearm starts out as a handgun and you put a stock on it out does make that firearm a SBR, correct?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1445 Times on 761 Posts
Likes Given: 627

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
Forgot to mention that. I asked if he was a class 3 dealer and he said no. I'll know next time to just keep my mouth shut. Does anyone know if I was right on my interpretation of the law? If a firearm starts out as a handgun and you put a stock on it out does make that firearm a SBR, correct?
There are only a few very old (antique) pistols that could legally have a stock. Modern pistols cannot have a stock of any sort and would have to be licensed either as an AOW or SBR. I think it was thoughtful of you to point this out to him - his attitude is his problem and shouldn't deter you from trying to help others.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)
People Like This 
Old 05-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #8

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
If a firearm starts out as a handgun and you put a stock on it out does make that firearm a SBR, correct?
Yes , unless its a class 3 machine gun then its not considered a SBR . Machine guns classification has no length restrictions like building a SBR . But since he wasnt a class 3 dealer I doubt it was legal. I have seen a few class 3 dealers that arent sure exactly how the laws work. They usually call the BATFE if they have a question to make sure they are in the right and get their questions answered properly

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 05-12-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #9

Liked 415 Times on 239 Posts

If I'd had been on the receiving end of getting cussed out for trying to be helpful I'd have a hard time not being the one to make that call to get him busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #10

Liked 3231 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy36 View Post
If I'd had been on the receiving end of getting cussed out for trying to be helpful I'd have a hard time not being the one to make that call to get him busted.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
The same thought had occurred to me as well.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand