Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > I want to get my FFL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
I live in Texas and wow I am so glad I ask instead of wasting my money . Hey this mite sound like a stupid question but I know you can get a c&r,class 3 FFL how many others are there or is there just one?
You have 9 types of Federal Licensing for the firearms industry.
type 01- Gun Shop, gunsmith and what I would say is the second most common
type 02- Pawn Shop
type 03- C&R, aka Collectors license...Gives you the ability to purchase guns that are 50 years and older, rolls over each year
type 06- Lets you make ammo and reloading components
types 07, 08, 09, 10, and 11- Deal with manufacturing of firearms/Class III weapons or Destructive Devices and importing of said guns.

Now if you want to deal in NFA weapons you have to purchase a separate tax stamp based on what kind you want to sell.
Do you want to sell High Explosives as well, pony up some more money for yet another license.

Welcome to the world of ATF.

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo
State inspection? What state you in if you don't mind me asking.
New Jersey

Old 01-14-2012, 03:24 AM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 480 Times on 295 Posts

Thank you very much C3 and creekside do you have to pay a yearly tax with just a regular FFL that You mite have if you owned a gun shop or were a gunsmith

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 01-14-2012, 03:53 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

That would be an 01 Dealer's FFL. It is a license fee. Last time I looked, was $200 for 3 years, and renewal is $90 every 3 years- but that may have changed. I am not "in the business", my FFL is an 03 Collector's license- $30 for 3 years.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #15
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 480 Times on 295 Posts

Thank you yall have been a great help thank you very much

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 01-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
That would be an 01 Dealer's FFL. It is a license fee. Last time I looked, was $200 for 3 years, and renewal is $90 every 3 years- but that may have changed. I am not "in the business", my FFL is an 03 Collector's license- $30 for 3 years.
You are correct, and as I say....to much money for what it is.

Habitual collector of Hamilton .22 Boys Rifles

Great deals on magazines and ammunition, PM me for more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory... :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201 View Post
True, but if you put a .50 BMG to the grape, there's not going to be much to look at in X-rays.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know about Nevada, Creekside, but there is the extra cost here of the state license. Here in Pa., you also have to be licensed by the Commonwealth which comes after you are granted your FFL by the Feds. I have to pay an additional $50 through the county sheriff's office for my Commonwealth of Pennsylvania license to sell firearms. It coincides with the FFL every three years for renewal.

Here where I am, all I needed after the licensing was satisfied was to get my sales tax license from the Commonwealth. Being rural and with the lenient ordinances where I am, I didn't need a mercantile license to do business or anything else for that matter.

As you were already told, SSGSF, you first and foremost have to make sure that you can legally do your busines in the municipality you live in and not be in violation of zoning ordinances. See if you need to have mercantile licenses even to do a hobby business in your community. Get a copy of your state firearm laws as pertaining to sale of firearms and dealer responsibility/licensing, etc. Once you have this info and am sure you can be in compliance, then start the licensing process with ATF starting with your Form 7 and fingerprint cards. Make absolutely sure to research what you need to be in Federal compliance shop or office wise. It's not a long list, but there is no grey area here. You basically need to be ready to start business (no inventory or anything like that) when the ATF compliance agent comes to visit for final approval of your license.

By the way, I'm a type I FFL, home office based, and had absolutely no problems getting approved the first time. In business since fall '09. It's all about taking the time to get info, ask questions, and being prepared and through.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #18

I really think the key to weaving through the myriad of rules and regs is to know exactly what the state you reside in requires for a gun business.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #19

FFL123 only cost about $30. It has a ton of info and you are able to contact the founder via email. It's not a scam and was really helpful for me. I emailed him twice with questions and he responded both times within 10 minutes.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #20

Goto atf website, get the book, and read it all, got questions then ask once you decide what exactly you want to do, get the paperwork and fill it out accordinly.

Need FFL transfer in Arkansas? Message me.

Last edited by afterlife; 01-19-2012 at 02:56 AM.