Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   I want to get my FFL (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/i-want-get-my-ffl-55389/)

SSGSF 01-13-2012 02:46 AM

I want to get my FFL

Has anyone ever used FFL 123 ? And do they really help you get your FFL?

Creekside_Sports 01-13-2012 03:40 AM

It's just a joke to get your money. There's no secret handshake that they teach you.
Don't waste your money, instead go to the BATFE and start reading.

c3shooter 01-13-2012 04:56 AM

As Creekside said.

DO understand there are several different FFLs. MOST folks mean an 01 Dealer FFL when they use the term. To get one, you must be in compliance with all state and local laws FIRST (zoning, business license, etc) AND you must intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling, or repairing guns. A Dealer FFL will NOT be granted for personal use.

SSGSF 01-13-2012 06:54 AM

Ok thank you I will look into it more cause I would like to buy and sell but nothing big

joehawk 01-13-2012 04:01 PM

I did all my homework by going to ATF site. Then to the State Police site. Checked it all out myself. Just had my ATF inspection/interview and the State inspection. Saved money by looking at YouTube and website info. Now just awaiting the license. Just my 2 cents.

Gizmo 01-13-2012 11:31 PM

State inspection? What state you in if you don't mind me asking.

trip286 01-13-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGSF
Has anyone ever used FFL 123 ? And do they really help you get your FFL?

I brought this up one time. I heard from another member here that all it is is a copy of the paper work you have to fill out and instructions on who to call and what not. Last I checked it was $150 for their kit, but I was told that the paperwork is free, along with all the other info you need, at the ATF website.

SSGSF 01-14-2012 12:32 AM

I live in Texas and wow I am so glad I ask instead of wasting my money . Hey this mite sound like a stupid question but I know you can get a c&r,class 3 FFL how many others are there or is there just one?

joehawk 01-14-2012 12:44 AM

New Jersey

c3shooter 01-14-2012 12:44 AM

There are 9 different FFLs, and a couple of flavors of each.

What most people mistakenly call Class 3 is properly referred to as NFA or Title 2 firearms. Regular firearms are Title 1.

A Class 3 SOT dealer is a dealer of NFA firearms
A Class 2 SOT manufacturer is a manufacturer of NFA firearms
A Class 1 SOT importer is an importer of NFA firearms

Type 1 FFL is a Title 1 dealer or gunsmith
Type 2 FFL is a Title 1 dealer doing business as a pawnbroker
Type 3 FFL is a licensed collector of Curio & Relic (C&R) firearms
Types 4 & 5 are no longer used.
Type 6 FFL is a licensed maker of ammunition and reloading components other than Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 7 FFL is a Title 1 manufacturer of firearms, ammunition and ammunition components other than NFA, Destructive Devices and Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 8 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms and ammunition
Type 9 FFL is a dealer in Title 1 firearms including NFA destructive devices, but no other NFA
Type 10 FFL is a manufacturer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and ammunition components, including NFA Destructive Devices but no other NFA, and not including Armor Piercing ammunition
Type 11 FFL is an importer of Title 1 firearms, ammunition and NFA Destructive Devices, but no other NFA

To get a Class 3 SOT status, you need a dealer or manufacturer FFL which includes Type 1, 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 - and pay a yearly $500 tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 2 SOT status, you need a manufacturer FFL, which includes Type 7, 10 - and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small manufacturers) tax due every July 1st.

To get a Class 1 SOT status, you need an importer FFL, which includes Type 8, 11- and pay a yearly $1000 or $500 (reduced rate for small importers) tax due every July 1st.