I need info from ffl members
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > I need info from ffl members

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need info from ffl members

I lost my father 4 years ago. He was had and ffl license and owned fully automatic weapons and other parts that you have to have a ffl for. My question is the firearms are still in his safe what are me and my brother suppose to do with these all the weapons he has that are registered in his name?
name

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREWTASTIC119 View Post
I lost my father 4 years ago. He was had and ffl license and owned fully automatic weapons and other parts that you have to have a ffl for. My question is the firearms are still in his safe what are me and my brother suppose to do with these all the weapons he has that are registered in his name?
name
C3Shooter is the resident expert on this. maybe he will pop in and give some input on your situation. if not send him a PM. he's pretty knowledgeable on these subjects.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1494

Drew- moved your thread over to the FFL/ Class III section, where you are more likely to get an answer.

Now, first thing- there are a couple of different categories of full auto firearms. One is a TRANSFERABLE firearm, made and registered with the BATFE prior to May 1986. This can be transferred to a private citizen that is NOT a FFL holder.

The other is the NON-TRANSFERABLE stock of someone licensed as a machine gun dealer. Typically registered after the May 1986 cutoff date, they may only be transferred to a law enforcement AGENCY, a MILITARY agency, or another machine gun dealer.

Normally transfer of ownership of a full auto firearm to a private end user requires payment of a one time $200 per item tax- HOWEVER- there is an exception in the law for transfer by inheritance.

I have no way of knowing which category of arms you may have in that safe, but machine gun dealers are subject to audit by the BATFE- and someone at some time is going to be asking questions.

I would strongly recommend that you or your family attorney contact BATFE Firearms Tech Branch, National Firearms Act section SOONEST. Monday would be good. Explain the circumstances (discovered after the death of your father, we never looked in that safe until this weekend, etc) The ATF will send an agent or industry inspector out to you.

Here is the good news- arms that are properly registered are QUITE valuable, especially if transferable to a private citizen.

Here is the BAD news- arms that are NOT already registered cannot be, and must be surrendered to the BATFE for destruction. Also- if you attempt to conceal that you now possess a machine gun NOT registered to you or to a trust, that is a SERIOUS violation of Federal law (10 yrs, no parole, $10,000)

Here is the contact info for NFA section-

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
National Firearms Act Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405 USA
Voice (304) 616-4500
Fax (304) 616-4501

I do not claim to be the ultimate expert on NFA items- have some experience- but the folks above are not only the experts, but they are the regulators.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

Thank you so much for all the info and advice we will get right on that!

Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 AM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Drew- moved your thread over to the FFL/ Class III section, where you are more likely to get an answer.

Now, first thing- there are a couple of different categories of full auto firearms. One is a TRANSFERABLE firearm, made and registered with the BATFE prior to May 1986. This can be transferred to a private citizen that is NOT a FFL holder.

The other is the NON-TRANSFERABLE stock of someone licensed as a machine gun dealer. Typically registered after the May 1986 cutoff date, they may only be transferred to a law enforcement AGENCY, a MILITARY agency, or another machine gun dealer.

Normally transfer of ownership of a full auto firearm to a private end user requires payment of a one time $200 per item tax- HOWEVER- there is an exception in the law for transfer by inheritance.

I have no way of knowing which category of arms you may have in that safe, but machine gun dealers are subject to audit by the BATFE- and someone at some time is going to be asking questions.

I would strongly recommend that you or your family attorney contact BATFE Firearms Tech Branch, National Firearms Act section SOONEST. Monday would be good. Explain the circumstances (discovered after the death of your father, we never looked in that safe until this weekend, etc) The ATF will send an agent or industry inspector out to you.

Here is the good news- arms that are properly registered are QUITE valuable, especially if transferable to a private citizen.

Here is the BAD news- arms that are NOT already registered cannot be, and must be surrendered to the BATFE for destruction. Also- if you attempt to conceal that you now possess a machine gun NOT registered to you or to a trust, that is a SERIOUS violation of Federal law (10 yrs, no parole, $10,000)

Here is the contact info for NFA section-

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
National Firearms Act Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405 USA
Voice (304) 616-4500
Fax (304) 616-4501

I do not claim to be the ultimate expert on NFA items- have some experience- but the folks above are not only the experts, but they are the regulators.

I am am FFL/SOT Holder and C3 is right on the mark.
I can't tell you how mant calls i receive telling me their Daddy brough back an M2 carbine or Thompson during WWII...If the person that brought it back did not register it before the 'amnesty period' in 1968., it can never be legally registered.Period.There is absolutely no way to register it!

Old 04-25-2013, 11:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun shorty

I am am FFL/SOT Holder and C3 is right on the mark.
I can't tell you how mant calls i receive telling me their Daddy brough back an M2 carbine or Thompson during WWII...If the person that brought it back did not register it before the 'amnesty period' in 1968., it can never be legally registered.Period.There is absolutely no way to register it!
How would I start going about looking and purchasing a fully automatic rifle or compact. New to this, was in the Service many years ago and did not have to worry about buying these kind of weapons. Thanks for your time.
Mike

Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMullis View Post
How would I start going about looking and purchasing a fully automatic rifle or compact. New to this, was in the Service many years ago and did not have to worry about buying these kind of weapons. Thanks for your time.
Mike
http://smithsspeedshop.com/

Maybe this guy knows somebody near you. I have not done business with him, but a buddy of mine has. Dude has a good rep.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 565 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMullis View Post
Mike
Start with anywhere from $10-40K. If you are lucky you can find some for less. PM me if you are serious and can make a trip down to Houston area, Texas cause I have some leads on class 3 weapons for under $10k.

Next is an FBI background check and $200 to the ATF

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #9

Liked 401 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 1432

C3 et al:

Has it ever happend that someone who in good faith called the ATF for such help and when they arrived /inspected they said "Aha! now we see you have contraband , off to jail we go!"

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

EVERY DAY MEN WHO WILL FOLLOW ORDERS TO KILL YOU, EXERCISE. DO YOU?

Old 04-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Start with anywhere from $10-40K. If you are lucky you can find some for less. PM me if you are serious and can make a trip down to Houston area, Texas cause I have some leads on class 3 weapons for under $10k.

Next is an FBI background check and $200 to the ATF
IMHO,Best entry level SMG for the money and more is a Mac 10 or 11
The Ingram MAC 10 Powder Springs is the most desirable and collectible as well.Extremely low maintenance ,ultra reliable, parts are easy to obtain.
Nice MAC 10's are regularly about $3500-5000
Of course, first talk to your local FFL/SOT and the whole process of transfer
Is relatively simple.Expect 8-10 month wait by NFA awaiting the Form 4 Approvals