i got a question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > i got a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

OK... Big difference between delayed and denied. As much as delays suck, they do happen. Did you provide your SSN on the 4473 form? This would've/should've eliminated any name and /or DOB confusion. There is no way for an FFL to know the real reason for the delay that may occur on a particular transaction. They can guess and/or assume all they want but the FFL does not have access to this information (same goes for a denial). I've had times where the delay had nothing to do with the purchaser but was due to the FBI system either backlogged or just being "buggy" (I always use E-Check versus calling in). I once got a delay on a regular customer, a guy with the best credentials (ex LEO, ex military, does govt. work in South Asia, concealed carry holder, you name it). I was real surprised to get a delayed response as I'd run his name many times before without a problem. I called the NICS section to see what the heck. The lady had me boot my laptop and re-establish a connection with E-Check. Once I did that and retrieved the transaction information it was immediately green for proceed. Go figure...

P.S. - Your FFL should be checking the system periodically throughout the day. The system can update and change your status to "proceed" at any time and you're good to go, but only if the FFL looks for it.
It appears you were trying to do this transaction this past weekend. If so, and no other information is received from NICS in the meantime, the FFL is allowed, at his or her discretion, to proceed with the transaction after three business days have passed.

Last edited by FFL01user; 09-17-2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFL01user
OK... Big difference between delayed and denied. As much as delays suck, they do happen. Did you provide your SSN on the 4473 form? This would've/should've eliminated any name and /or DOB confusion. There is no way for an FFL to know the real reason for the delay that may occur on a particular transaction. They can guess and/or assume all they want but the FFL does not have access to this information (same goes for a denial). I've had times where the delay had nothing to do with the purchaser but was due to the FBI system either backlogged or just being "buggy" (I always use E-Check versus calling in). I once got a delay on a regular customer, a guy with the best credentials (ex LEO, ex military, does govt. work in South Asia, concealed carry holder, you name it). I was real surprised to get a delayed response as I'd run his name many times before without a problem. I called the NICS section to see what the heck. The lady had me boot my laptop and re-establish a connection with E-Check. Once I did that and retrieved the transaction information it was immediately green for proceed. Go figure...
Yea i gave my ssn, and he guessed. Who can i call to get the ball rolling cause i dnt want to ve confused with joe "the cinvicted felon" blow

Old 09-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

Yea i gave my ssn, and he guessed. Who can i call to get the ball rolling cause i dnt want to ve confused with joe "the cinvicted felon" blow
And i think he used echeck

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
I paid a respected person of a buisness for a rifle and i have a chl...is it necessary to do a fbi background check. The only reason i ask is that his little FBI systwm dwnied me saying that someone has a similar name which i find odd considering my name is not so common. I have a clean record and no pending charges...hell if i did how would i have gotten a chl. It really bugs me cause i had it in my hands and was gunna go shot but now i gotta wait till the middle of next week and have no spare time till the following week and ive already waited 2 months for it
The few times that I have bought a firearm....I just showed them my chl ( same state only) and walked out with the gun in hand

Old 09-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
It's in the hands of the FFL who you were doing the transaction with. You're reliant on him/her to diligently check the system (some FFL's won't even bother and will just wait the three days then check). It's possible you're good to go right now but if the FFL doesn't check there's no way to know. Do you know what the NTN is? Don't post it here! If I was correct in that the transaction in question was done this past weekend, and the FFL hears nothing in the meantime, he/she may, at their discretion, proceed with the transaction this Thursday.
If you will be doing future transactions and think you'll get delayed like this again you can apply for a UPIN (unique personal identification number). Once you apply for and receive a UPIN it allows the NICS section to retain certain information that would otherwise be destroyed after a NICS check. Essentially you fill out an appeals package, information on you is retained, and you are issued a UPIN that in the future you would include on the 4473 you fill out. This UPIN defines you as being YOU, not EWE. Some info. can be found here:
http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2004/12/121504-openletter-ffl-fbi-nics.pdf

Old 09-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3443 Times on 1971 Posts
Likes Given: 1497

My response was not intended to indicate why a specific person was delayed, just generic answers why someone could be denied. Sorry if it created confusion.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
My response was not intended to indicate why a specific person was delayed, just generic answers why someone could be denied. Sorry if it created confusion.

Not at all... Just wanted to make sure we were all clear on what information is and is not available to an FFL.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 AM   #18

Well turns out it was a glit,h in the system so im gtg.

forumrunner_20120919_005315.jpg

forumrunner_20120919_005330.jpg
Its a yhm with the diamond flutted barrel, rra national match trigger, houge grip, spikes nickel boron bolt and carrier, ctr butt, troy battle rail, magpul trigger guard, extended tac latch, and i got yhm qds irons and an aimpoint pro, ordered my larue cantilever mount for my aimpoint havent got it yet but my set up is pretty sick
Rarity Likes This 
Old 09-19-2012, 08:41 AM   #19

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Nice rifle there, enjoy..
It's a good thing that you have gotten everything fixed.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarity
Nice rifle there, enjoy..
It's a good thing that you have gotten everything fixed.
Thanks man cant wait to shoot it