Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   i got a question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/i-got-question-72578/)

Ultimate_sig 09-17-2012 03:07 AM

i got a question

I paid a respected person of a buisness for a rifle and i have a chl...is it necessary to do a fbi background check. The only reason i ask is that his little FBI systwm dwnied me saying that someone has a similar name which i find odd considering my name is not so common. I have a clean record and no pending charges...hell if i did how would i have gotten a chl. It really bugs me cause i had it in my hands and was gunna go shot but now i gotta wait till the middle of next week and have no spare time till the following week and ive already waited 2 months for it

USEBOTHHANDS 09-17-2012 03:10 AM

what state? are private sales legal? didju give your SSN? (that helps clear up the "this is me, is that you")

c3shooter 09-17-2012 03:17 AM

In SOME states, a concealed weapons license substitutes for the background check- in others, it does not.

The Dealer (assuming it was a dealer, since a private seller cannot run a background check) is- like you- at the mercies of the system. He must rely on what he gets back- and he will not know why you were delayed- or denied. All he gets is one of 3 responses- approved, delayed, denied.

Not that it will make you feel any better, but several years ago the Police Chief of Denver CO was delayed on a personal purchase of a firearm. Here in Virginia, friend that is a dealer was selling to a State Police Lt, and the Lt was delayed.

Ultimate_sig 09-17-2012 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
In SOME states, a concealed weapons license substitutes for the background check- in others, it does not.

The Dealer (assuming it was a dealer, since a private seller cannot run a background check) is- like you- at the mercies of the system. He must rely on what he gets back- and he will not know why you were delayed- or denied. All he gets is one of 3 responses- approved, delayed, denied.

Not that it will make you feel any better, but several years ago the Police Chief of Denver CO was delayed on a personal purchase of a firearm. Here in Virginia, friend that is a dealer was selling to a State Police Lt, and the Lt was delayed.

Actually that does feel better, for a seco.d i was feeling bamboozled

Ultimate_sig 09-17-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS
what state? are private sales legal? didju give your SSN? (that helps clear up the "this is me, is that you")

Yes, and its tx

FFL01user 09-17-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig (Post 943940)
I paid a respected person of a buisness for a rifle and i have a chl...is it necessary to do a fbi background check. The only reason i ask is that his little FBI systwm dwnied me saying that someone has a similar name which i find odd considering my name is not so common. I have a clean record and no pending charges...hell if i did how would i have gotten a chl. It really bugs me cause i had it in my hands and was gunna go shot but now i gotta wait till the middle of next week and have no spare time till the following week and ive already waited 2 months for it

The FBI check (NICS) is required. You say you were dwnied(sic) because someone has a similar name. Where did you get this idea from? As stated above the dealer gets back one of three responses from the NICS system. Either proceed, delayed, or denied. The dealer gets no reason as to why someone may be delayed or denied, so why do you sayit's because of a similar name?
Again, you say you were dwnied(sic). What is waiting until the middle of next week going to do? You were denied, period.

danf_fl 09-17-2012 03:17 PM

Most states have a website explaining why someone may get delayed or denied.

I've had one instance where an individual was delayed (even with the CWP). If your application was delayed, then normally there is a waiting period of 3 days.

FFL01user 09-17-2012 03:48 PM

A website that gives reasons why a delay/denial might occur, yes. I've never heard of a website in any state, certainly not here in NY, that gives delay and/or denial reasons for a specific transaction. The FFL does not have access to that information. The option here is to provide the purchaser with the NTN and they can appeal through the NICS section.
I've seen many delays, they happen. I've never had one that continued through the three business day wait though.

cuate 09-17-2012 05:11 PM

Texas CHL licensees may purchase a firearm without the online checkup and only must fill out that Fed Form. Obviously the very background check required for a CHL is sufficient to met the Fed's requirement.

Ultimate_sig 09-17-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFL01user

The FBI check (NICS) is required. You say you were dwnied(sic) because someone has a similar name. Where did you get this idea from? As stated above the dealer gets back one of three responses from the NICS system. Either proceed, delayed, or denied. The dealer gets no reason as to why someone may be delayed or denied, so why do you sayit's because of a similar name?
Again, you say you were dwnied(sic). What is waiting until the middle of next week going to do? You were denied, period.

No delayed im sorry, i have the app and big fingers. And the guy said it was cause either a similar name or same dob