I got an FFL. Now what? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > I got an FFL. Now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I can offer no advice but I did want to comment on the fact that my brother was deployed to al asad some years ago. He told me stories of inaccurate mortar attacks on the base.

Texas is where it's at!
Cheers,
Angry

Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #12

The only recommendation I will make to you is too keep good records. If your going to get spanked by the ATF, it's going to generally be for your record keeping.

Also, try and develop a good working relationship with your ATF agent assigned to your area. I couldn't ask for a better agent, and he has always been more than helpful any time I have had a technical question regarding a transaction.

Texas Concealed Handgun Classes for the Southeast Texas area.
Texas CHL License

Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #13

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Do you intend to operate out of your residence or do you plan to lease or buy a retail space?

Old 06-26-2009, 07:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Do you intend to operate out of your residence or do you plan to lease or buy a retail space?
Both. I have a retail space. Have the FFL filled out and will send it off tomorrow.

I got my FFL for my residence. I'll be building a separate building soon, but for now, I have a front segregated room. It has an exterior door that goes into the rest of the house, and it's got a deadbolt lock. It also has an exterior door for the "entrance", so it can be completely locked from the rest of the house.

I've got an office building "in town", but I don't have a range in town. That's why I'm going with two FFLs.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #15

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

So, in your retail space do you intend to stock more than firearms?

Such things as hunting, camping, fishing, general sporting good store merchandise?

The reason I ask is our family had been in retail hardware, auto parts, and sporting goods for many years. These businesses and a couple of others provided for our family for many years fairly well. (1947-2003)

My brothers and I left the businesses in the 1970's and struck out on our own. We didn't go into retail. Instead, individually, we became engineers and contractors.

I do know this, it is very hard these days, even during economic boom times for independent retailers to thrive. The large volume chain stores and even somewhat the internet has nearly squashed the little guy.

IMHO, however, it can be done sucessfully and one can provide fairly well for their family with hard work and offering to their customers excellent service. For the small guy all he has left to entice a good base of return customers is not good but excellent service. You will have to advertise but the best advertisement is word of mouth. Good products, excellent service, and knowing and taking care of your cutomers well, usually wins out at the end of the day.

The most sucessful long time around independent gun stores here are actually sporting good stores. They carry firearms, firearm related acessories, reloading componets, camping and hunting gear, and fishing gear. The one I actually go to the most has more fishing gear and equipment than anything else.(Yes, I fish alot also) However, they also have more selection and quanity of firearms and related acessories than any other store within 100 miles and their prices usually can't be beat for firearms and ammo. The place is about 6000 sq. ft. building and is always packed with customers any time of day you go there. This guy (the owner) says he has been in business since 1962 at this location and always been open 7 days a week and although it hasn't always been a good business overall through the years it has been better than worse. He also owns as of the last 6 years a quad runner (during summer) and snow mobile (during winter) dealership across town. He says that business sucks for his dealership now due to the economy and people just not wanting to or can't spend money, but that his sporting good store is carrying it. He feels the dealership business will come back in a couple of years and that he is poised to hold on till then.

So theres one way to go at it - deversity- in merchandise and over time related diversification into other businesses.

Another way to go at it is aiming (no pun intended) for a niche market.
Got to go for now but will return later with another post.

Last edited by mrm14; 06-26-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Tags
ffl help, new ffl