I got an FFL. Now what?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > I got an FFL. Now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I got an FFL. Now what?

I started the process in September of last year, and yesterday (28APR09), it finally came! I am not a federally licensed firearms dealer! Woo hoo!

It was a lot of work getting it because I was (and still am) deployed! That's right, I'm sitting here in my room in Al Asad, Iraq as I type this! I owe a lot of thanks to my wife who did most of the leg work for me.

Anyhow, I got the license and I'm ready to go!.... or am I? My general manager has worked for a dealer before, but he's never had an FFL. He told me I should get the license in a "packet" that had a "starter" A/D book, some 4473s, and info and instructions on setting up the NICS acct, phone numbers, and such...

All I got was a license.

I tried turning to Google for help, and there's a plethora of help available... for GETTING an FFL, but I can't find ANYTHING on what to do after you get it.

***** HELP!!!! *****

Thanks!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-
Owner, Tri-State Tactical

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8703 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

OK- I'm not the best source on this- I'm an 03 collector, not an 01 Dealer- But you should get a packet by separate mail. There are things like the prevent handgun violence booklets that you need with handgun sales, 4473s, etc. Word is they have run OUT of 4473s due to demand.

Your bound volume is just that- a book where you record acquistions and dispositions of firearms- in and out. If you take a gun in for repair, and it is not returned same day- in the book. Brownell's has a book you can buy, but look at keeping yor bound book on computer- ATF permits it now- but have a GOOD backup copy.

There is also an ELECTRONIC 4473- you may want to consider- reduces paperwork errors on minor crap- like abreviating a place name, etc (Like KC, Missouri)

DO make xerox copies of your license- you will want to send them to places you may buy from- like Midway, Numrich, etc. Most of them give a wholesale price to FFLs, even on stuff that does NEED a FFL.

DO go to the ATF website, and you AND any staff view the online tutorials that are there for dealers- things like strawman sales, etc.

Anyone else? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

You might also go the the Public Gunsmithing forum at gunpartscorp.com- several good smiths post there, willing to offer advice.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I started the process in September of last year, and yesterday (28APR09), it finally came! I am now a federally licensed firearms dealer! Woo hoo!Thanks! Jerry A. Goodson Owner, Tri-State Tactical
Can't help on the FFL but can offer the best of wishes to your new business!

OBTW, keep your head down while down range and....

Thanks

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Congratulations!! You should get some sound advice from a dealer here! I wish you the best of luck in your business venture!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:55 AM   #5

Default Hydrashok

"Do not" Sign your original license, make photo copies first and sign the photo copies.

You must post your license, in your place of business, garage, kitchen, where ever you plan to conduct business.

Pending what your going to do with it, you may want to get a City, business license and a Federal tax ID, TIN from your State of residence to apply for a Registered business name to open a bank account under your business Name.

If you do not need a business banking account, and will not have employees, you will not need the Federal TIN.

Probably a good idea to get the City license and notify local authorities-police if you are going to sell firearms from your residence or any place of business.

Then you contact vendors that you want to buy from and send them signed copies of your FFL, eventually you will come up on the new FFL list and wholesale firearms distributers will send you catalogs.

But they must have a signed copy of your license in hand before they can legally sell you firearms.

If you do not recieve your ATF packet and 4473s , call your local ATF or 703-455-7801 , or Distribution Center Order Form

Best luck

Old 05-13-2009, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsteel View Post
"Do not" Sign your original license, make photo copies first and sign the photo copies.
Yeah, I figured this one out on my own... I actually READ my FFL

I found a LOT of distributors will accept scanned/emailed copies, so I scanned it, printed it, signed it, then scanned it again. I use the printed one to post.
Quote:
...Pending what your going to do with it, you may want to get a City, business license and a Federal tax ID, TIN from your State of residence to apply for a Registered business name to open a bank account under your business Name.
I had most of that stuff before I actually received the FFL. I can't get the bank acct yet, because I'm in Iraq, and they wouldn't accept my wife's power of attorney. I'm using a personal acct w/ my GM's name on it until I get back and can open a biz acct.

Quote:
Then you contact vendors that you want to buy from and send them signed copies of your FFL, eventually you will come up on the new FFL list and wholesale firearms distributers will send you catalogs.

But they must have a signed copy of your license in hand before they can legally sell you firearms.
So far, I've been most impressed with Sports South, Inc. They even sent me a FREE 1GB "bullet" thumb drive with free A/D software AND their own inventory software.

Quote:
If you do not recieve your ATF packet and 4473s , call your local ATF or 703-455-7801 , or Distribution Center Order Form
Yeah... this is what I'm still waiting on... I'll give 'em a call. Thanks!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

Old 06-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
Speedsteel, I wonder, what would be the consequences of not getting a city license or contacting the local authorities if you don't plan on doing big business, but would still like to be able to receive and sell guns on a very small and personal basis - like between friends and family?
The ATF notifies state and local authorities. They also require proof of zoning. At my first location, it was in the county, so no big deal. In the city, I have to provide a copy of my city permit in the application.

Big business or little business, you HAVE to play by the rules.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

Old 06-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #8

Gunbroker, Auction Arms, guns america.

PM me and I will send you a list of dealers I use.
Do you have a Brick and mortar shoop?

If not some distributors will not work with you.

I do transfers out of my Garage.

Always glad to help another FFL get started.

KGB
01FFL - $20 Transfers In Indianapolis Area.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Ok, military buddy and brother, now that you have been given some advice about setting up shop with that FFL, I just want to know when you will start taking orders and selling those selected items discounted at your cost, plus a teeny tiny markup to your military buddies and brothers? Hint, hint.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Ok, military buddy and brother, now that you have been given some advice about setting up shop with that FFL, I just want to know when you will start taking orders and selling those selected items discounted at your cost, plus a teeny tiny markup to your military buddies and brothers? Hint, hint.
Good gawd! You sound like one of my friends! (Jay Urish).

Here's my business philosophy. I don't want to make a f*ckload of money by selling a few guns. I want to make a f*ckload of money by selling a F*CKLOAD of guns!

I want *EVERY* gun I sell to be a "good deal".

My business "slogan" is: We don't want customers. We want well-armed and well-trained clients.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

Tags
ffl help, new ffl