how to sell a gun in MA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > how to sell a gun in MA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default how to sell a gun in MA

I am not happy with my pistol, I would like to sell it, possibly on one of the auction sites. I am in Mass. Sorry for this basic question, however, can someone explain to me the requirements and steps I would need to do for this. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #2

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

It needs to ship to an FFL01, unless it is C&R. It must be shipped to or background check done through FFL. The Commiewealth sucks. What kind of handgun?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

jp, thanks. don't really understand what the diff between C&R or FFL01 or just FFL is. This is a S&W9. So are you saying that I can't sell it on gun broker, or I can, it just must go thru an intermediary?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8705 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

Boatman- there are several different FFLs. For modern firearms, they need to be shipped TO an 01 FFL (Dealer or an 02 FFL (Pawn shop w. gun license) an 03 FFL is a collector's FFL- not valid for a modern gun.

Yes, bless your heart, you CAN sell of gunbroker or auctionarms. But when it is purchased, the buyer needs to send you the name, address, and license number of HIS FFL he wants you to ship the gun to.

Now, it is not required that you ship a gun FROM a FFL (except pistols going into NY State must come from a FFL to a FFL) HOWEVER- the cost of shipping a modern handgun will make you weep. You may want to find a dealer that you can pay to ship for you- THEY can use US Mail- you cannot. If you ship yourself, must be UPS or FedEx Next day Air- and will cost you about $75.

You can also check and see if there is a local dealer that will sell your gun on consignment for you.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #5

appreciate this info. Does it have to fedex/ups next day, or can it be 2nd or 3d day service. My company has excellent rates, I don't know if shipping a gun requires a special rate or just by wt, 3d day ups for the weight of my pistol would be about $15.

If not, I don't see how I wouldn't take a beating. I have a S&W 9, not that happy with it, would like a sig. If I gave it to the dealer I got it from to sell, I don't see how it wouldn't cost me at least $75 for him to make a profit anyway.