How to obtain an FFL 03
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > How to obtain an FFL 03

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to obtain an FFL 03

It has been suggested to me that I try and obtain an FFL 03/C&R license. What are the benifits of getting this license? Also, I am still in the military and move every couple of years. Would this affect the license or my ability to get one?

If I did decide to get one, where or how do I start the process?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9551 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

The 03 FFL is a COLLECTOR'S FFL. It permits you to buy firearms that are classed as Curio or Relic Firearms, and have them shipped directly to you. It also permits you to buy C&R Firearms in any state, and, when doing a face to face buy, paperwork consists of signing a copy of your license, and handing it to seller.

Many wholesalers and supply companies (like Brownells and Numrich) give a discount to 03 holders.

Does nothing for you on new guns. C&Rs are 50 years old or older, OR are on a list published by BATFE.

If you live on post, will need commander's OK. Off post, you send cc of your application to local chief law enforcement officer. When you PCS, you will need to notify ATF of address change.

On New Years Eve, member here sent me email- heads up on a collectible Mossberg 22, located at shop in Maine. I'm in VA. Called shop New Year's day- yep they had, yep, good shape, yep, good price, yep, they ship- if I have an FFL for them to ship TO. Told them I was FFL holder, gave them credit card, emailed them copy of my license, 3 days later. mailman brought me my rifle.

Most fun an old man can have for 30 bucks for a 3 yr license.

PS- see you are in CA. You cannot recieve a C&R handgun directly, but C&R rifles and shotguns, yes.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:54 AM   #3

That sounds good, since I am interested in older WWII rifles. I do live off post, and hopefully I won't be in CA for more than 2-3 years (I just PCS'd here).

Is it relatively easy to get an 03 FFL? Would I just go to the ATF website and get some forms to fill out and mail them in, or is it more involved than that?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:20 AM   #4

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy View Post
That sounds good, since I am interested in older WWII rifles. I do live off post, and hopefully I won't be in CA for more than 2-3 years (I just PCS'd here).

Is it relatively easy to get an 03 FFL? Would I just go to the ATF website and get some forms to fill out and mail them in, or is it more involved than that?
That and a check for $30 will do it.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Good instruction here.
Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com

Old 08-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice, just ordered the forms from the ATF distribution center.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I filled out the forms on my computer, and them printed and sent them in.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
N1431A
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 28 Times on 16 Posts

Do you need the chief LEO's signature on the form, or do you simply CC him?

Paul
Salome, AZ

Old 08-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9551 Times on 4109 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

An 03 FFL does not require APPROVAL by your local CLEO, it does require that a copy of the application be sent to him.

I usually put a cover letter on the app when renewing- to the effect of-

"Dear Shurf (Southern pronunciation there)

I am renewing my Federal Firearms License. Regulations of the BATFE require that I notify your office of this by copy of my application form. No action is required by your office."

Maybe add a PS- "expect I'll see you at the turkey shoot Saturday night. Regards- C3

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
The 03 FFL is a COLLECTOR'S FFL. It permits you to buy firearms that are classed as Curio or Relic Firearms, and have them shipped directly to you. It also permits you to buy C&R Firearms in any state, and, when doing a face to face buy, paperwork consists of signing a copy of your license, and handing it to seller.

Many wholesalers and supply companies (like Brownells and Numrich) give a discount to 03 holders.

Does nothing for you on new guns. C&Rs are 50 years old or older, OR are on a list published by BATFE.

If you live on post, will need commander's OK. Off post, you send cc of your application to local chief law enforcement officer. When you PCS, you will need to notify ATF of address change.

On New Years Eve, member here sent me email- heads up on a collectible Mossberg 22, located at shop in Maine. I'm in VA. Called shop New Year's day- yep they had, yep, good shape, yep, good price, yep, they ship- if I have an FFL for them to ship TO. Told them I was FFL holder, gave them credit card, emailed them copy of my license, 3 days later. mailman brought me my rifle.

Most fun an old man can have for 30 bucks for a 3 yr license.

PS- see you are in CA. You cannot recieve a C&R handgun directly, but C&R rifles and shotguns, yes.
For the sake of clarification, an 03 allows you the privilege of buying, selling or trading among other 03 C&R's. An 03 C&R license is not a Dealer license.
You may not engage in the Business of dealing in any firearms, including curios or relics. [18 U.S.C. 922(a) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]