How much did you pay to start your trust?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > How much did you pay to start your trust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default How much did you pay to start your trust?

My LGS is now a class 3 dealer. They have gotten an order of suppressors in stock and I was planning on buying one. The sheriff in my county will not sign off on it though. My local shop has partnered up with their lawyer to set up trusts, the cost is $350 for the trust. It seems a little expensive to me seeing as the suppressor is $200 and another $200 for the tax stamp. For those of you that have set up a trust before how much did you pay?

Also, this might be a question for a lawyer but can you put multiple NFA items on the same trust? Say I wanted to buy 2 suppressors could I put them together?

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #2

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Jordan, what kind d of suppressor is it I have never see A suppressor for $200. My guess is ur not getting much for ur money most decent suppressors start at $400 and go up to $1200 plus the $200 tax. Just make sure you can disassemble it to clean it

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-05-2012 at 02:12 PM.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #3

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts

There are a lot of good $200 cans. Many will disassemble and most are made of aluminum.
I just sent in my trust with a form 4 for my .22 can. I did a lot of research and opted to use Quicken and exported the documents to Word to edit them. It allowed me to shorten the trust name from the very long "John Matthew Smith and Jane Michele Smith Revocable living trust" to something shorter like "Smith revocable living trust".
A friend already had the software ($19 or less online as 2009 is the last year it was made) so there was no cost to me. Notary cost me nothing at my bank so just ink and paper expenses.
$350 sounds like a good price for an attorney drawn Trust but not good compared to almost free.
Attorneys say they offer NFA specific language and peace of mind. In all of my searching, I have never found out what the specific language is that they add, it must be a well kept attorney secret. The worst I have found happening is the BATFE will send the paperwork back for corrections.
The best thing about a trust is you only have to do it once. When you get a stamp and take a can home, add it to the schedule of property so it belongs to the trust. Want more cans? Just take a copy of your trust and updated schedules for any further form 4's! No more running around for photos, fingerprints, chiefs signature, etc!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 AM   #4

I can't remember the name of the company. I know they are located in Evansville, IN. But can't recall who made it....i'll update once I find out. I'll also search some reviews on that company before I buy.

Msup752, thanks for the info! I think I might see if I can get a copy of that software. Even, if I can't find it I plan on buying multiple suppressors and a SBR in the future so $350 as a one time fee still isn't bad.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I got my trust setup for $200. He does most of Nevada gun owners' trusts.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I paid $450 to have a local attorney, who is basically a NFA attorney (that is a core part of his business and he owns machineguns), write up my trust. Other local "NFA attorneys" wanted upwards of $600. Considering what is at risk and the cost of my first two machineguns ($25K), the $450 didn't bother me at all. Never had one hickup from the BATFE either so it seems to work for them also. Have a silencer for my M4 on approval and sold both of my machineguns, delivered them just last week.

Had some paperwork/weapon description discrepancies that I had to work out with the BATFE and they were most helpful and professional. Robin, in Martinsburg,WV seemed to be a very kind and helpful BATFE agent in my book.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Mine was 350 through a local nfa attourney. You can put as many nfa items on a trust as you have ink and paper to fillout the schedule of assets.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #8

Here is the company and suppressor I am looking at.

http://www.huntertownarms.com/g22micro.php

Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 235 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89
Here is the company and suppressor I am looking at.

http://www.huntertownarms.com/g22micro.php
Add a lil bit more.. u will get a well known Gemtech Outback 2D. Which i just ordered from my LGS. Costed me $246

Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My local SOT used Quicken Willmaker to make me a Revocable Living Trust for free. Took about 20 minutes. I've bought 4 suppressors & a SMG thru him. Other dealers in my area will do the same. Competition is a good thing.