Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > how hard is to get a class 3 permit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
CAN you have an 01 Dealer FFL with a business operated from your home- YES- from a Federal standpoint.

MAYBE from a local standpoint.

Before the Feds will issue you an 01, you must show (a) you intend to "engage in the business" of buying and selling guns, and (b) you are in compliance with state and local laws- like ZONING- and having a business license, etc. There 3 folks that I deal with that DO have their business at their home- TWO of them are good gunsmiths- but zoning allows it where they are.

Where you are- I can't tell.
This.

i would like to add that a normal ffl dealer seldom if ever get checked by the BATFE an 01 Dealer or manufacturer they come pretty frequent and if your not following the rules you can face jail time. this is what happened to red jacket. they were floating whats called paper machine guns. they applied for seriel numbers but never made the recievers so when the ATF came knocking for an inspection they couldnt produce the serial numbered recievers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So is red jacket still gona do sons of guns or did they get shut down

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #23
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

JonM,

I may be a little slow here, but what would be the purpose of applying for a serial number and not creating the machine gun? The gun is salable but the paper doesn't do any good without a gun associated with it.

I guess I'm wondering why this is an offense NOT to create the gun but to create the serial number. It sounds like just another BATFE way to crucify 01 dealers/mfgrs for paperwork snafus.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2589 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113 View Post
That's cause the ATF people are DUMB IMHO
That is not an ATF "rule" it is a part of the National Firearms Act. More than one shot with a single pull of the trigger is the definition of a machinegun. That can be repealed by the legislature. Stack the Congress with pro gun peeps...Nah, never happen.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5285 Times on 2756 Posts
Likes Given: 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
JonM,

I may be a little slow here, but what would be the purpose of applying for a serial number and not creating the machine gun? The gun is salable but the paper doesn't do any good without a gun associated with it.

I guess I'm wondering why this is an offense NOT to create the gun but to create the serial number. It sounds like just another BATFE way to crucify 01 dealers/mfgrs for paperwork snafus.
it is because there is no way to track the actual gun itself in the eyes of the batfe. their reasoning is you got a serial number we need to see the gun its attached to. kinda like in business where carrying items on the books that dont exist and still claiming they do on financial reports makes your company more valuable.

so if redjacket has X number of paper guns they can claim we have this many for sale yet they dont have to keep track of the actual stock or take up inventory room with the actual item. for the batfe they have no way to tell where the guns actually are when they come to inspect. in their eyes you got serial numbers but no guns that means there are x amount of machine guns or normal guns or whatever missing.

i dont agree in the slightest that the gca of 1936 should even exist but its the law and if you got a NFA serial number it has to be physically attached to the item it describes. doing otherwise puts you in violation. the nfa guys arent out to get anyone. they understand that if you have a production line going and are in the process of creating the items that the numbers are going on its not a big deal. what redjacket liekly was doing was holding serial numbers with no production attempt for a very long time. or just applied and never got around to making em.

until i started in the nfa game i thought the NFA guys were evil ogres out to put everyone in jail for the slightest error. you really have to do something truly stupendously dumb for the BATFE to yank your license. the NFA branch is not like the regular BATFE at all.

you have seen the show Will and his crew arent the sharpest sticks in the drawer.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #26

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

i run into this too much at work.
"you the one that umm, knows guns right?"
...whatta want
"Man i wanna get one of them M4's, you had those in Iraq right?"
yea, and you cant get one. those are select fire, BATFE dont like to let alot for those floating around.
"Alright alright, what about a full auto"
thats not a problem, you got a clean background?
"yep"
no felonies, no violent misdemeanors
"nope"
16 thousand dollars?
"WHAT?!"
yea, TV makes it look easy huh?

I don't think I'm cool enough to play Spartan shouting "Molon Labe!". I'll just stick to being an American, firmly saying "Dont Tread On Me".

Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I talked to a guy that got a mini 14 full auto from his lgs for 1800 and i think that was his background everything

guns don't kill people, people kill people and if they take our guns then the bad guys will have them and we won't thay will be fear less of us.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #28

Liked 1091 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllandhide View Post
I talked to a guy that got a mini 14 full auto from his lgs for 1800 and i think that was his background everything
Well, all I can say is he got the deal of the century............

Google Reuben Mendoila and check out his machine gun prices (legal machine guns) I don't think you can find anything under $5000.00 and most are over $10,000. Give him a call and he can fix you up with one if you can handle the strain.

This is not a plug for his business, there are several listed in Shotgun News, his was the only name I remember.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #29

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekyllandhide View Post
I'm raising the B.S. flag.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 PM   #30

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

I'm raising the B.S. flag.
I dont know what he gave didnt see amy paperwork but all he said was it was a used rifle and the gunsmith made it full auto you can get a mini 14 for about 650 or so new so a gunsmith moding one couldnt cost that much i wouldnt think anyway