How Expensive Are Full Auto Weapons? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > How Expensive Are Full Auto Weapons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 11:11 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sad to say this but I am willing to bet that if a bill to open up the machine gun registry was ever put before congress, with a chance of passing. That many machine gun owners who are seeing their guns as investments would start sending money to anti gun groups to kill the bill. Many of the machine gun owners out there are not shooting their guns much if at all since they are such an expensive investment. Many are planning on using the sale of theirs as an investment return. Let’s face it if repeal ever happened; suddenly your $24K M16 is now worth no more than an AR15 with a tax stamp and a full auto fire control pack, maybe $1500. Not a lot of people can take a hit of $20K with a smile.

"They say you can't use a rifle or shotgun indoors because a bad guy will grab the barrel. Yeah? Well, he better hang on, 'cause I'm gonna light him up and it will definitely be an "E" ticket ride."
"Make (your attacker) advance through a wall of bullets. I may get killed with my own gun, but hes gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty."
Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #32
LEO

Default Not exactly

If they repealed the ban... I would not stop them.

I did pay a ton of cash for my MP5 but if they repealed it.. I would go out and buy a ton of other full auto guns!

If you look at it this way... I could save $20,000 buying my FA M-16 for $1,500!!! and save on many other HK guns.

But I did not buy my MP5 as an investment... I bought it as an expensive toy.

Now the gun dealers that have a ton of FA guns for sale.. They may want to block it since THEY would have so much to lose.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:31 PM   #33

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

As much as I would love to own a full auto weapon, I won't pay the inflated prices they charge for them. Paying for a rare firearm is one thing. Paying because the price has been inflated by a law is quite another. Laws can change, and if this one did the results would be financially devistating. A good example are the guys who paid in excess of $100.00 for Hi-Cap Glock mags during the AWB that can now be bought by the boxcar load for $13.99. The Supreme Court is going to have to rule on the Second Amendment in time. If they rule it is an individual right, as many legal annalists feel they will, you are going to see a large number of gun control laws be struck down as being unconstitutional. This could very well be one of the first. Stranger things have happened. The ones who say "no way" are the same ones who thought the AWB would never sunset. Never say never, especially when paying well into 5 digits for a gun thats costs 3 digits to build. Bill T.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #34
LEO

I hear ya'....

I am not sure the law will be shot down anytime soon. It has been 21 years and I see no attempts being tried.

The people can still own a MG.. some are just more expensive than others. I think it comes down to the number of people that want one and are willing to complain long and hard enough to be heard.

We know the people want their guns... but who really needs a MG since it costs big bucks to shoot full auto anyway. I think it is going to be reserved for the serious collectors only.

But any attempts to repeal the 1986 law... will fail for this reason alone....

The number of crimes involving a MG!! There are so few you can probably count it on one hand. Why? because they are too expensive for criminals to purchase legally. They are so expensive that their owners lock them up to protect their investment.

I submit that any crime involving MG was likely done by the owner or were stolen from LE vehicles.

With MG crime stats that low... it proves that the law is a success to prevent them from being used in crimes.

So you better buy now!!

Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

BATFE just cashed my Form 4 check for a SWD MAC-11/9, so hopefully in about 5 weeks I can take possession from my local dealer. This is probably the lowest cost FA weapon a civilian can own. Stock, the M11/9 is a bullet hose with a ROF of about 1200 RPM. With a Lage MAX-11 upper you can use 3 different bolts to get approx. ROF's of 600, 750 & 900 to make it into a very useable SMG. MAC's have been appreciating about 10% per year for the last 10 years, so if you're going that route, the sooner the better, and 2008 could be a very scary year politically. A NIB MAC-10 or 11 is going for about $3,500. There will also be a .22LR conversion kit available early next year that will run off of bulk pack ammo that will even be affordable to shoot.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM   #36

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Repeal the ban Full Autos for all. Woo Hoo.

I have always dreamed of owning a thompson subgun. A grease gun, an m-60 and a few other full autos. Maybe a Browning Ma Duce.

I wouldn't mind having one of Mike Dilions machine guns OH YAH.

I can say this I would have to buy 4 dilon 1050's One for each of my family so they can help me feed my FA habbit.

I got hooked on FA in the army it is just way to much fun. Man tracers going all over the place the smell of gun powder and just the fun of it all OH MAN

Old 12-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #37

I always like to bring up the "Lightning Link" in these conversations.

The small peice of metal, not much larger then a razor blade, runs about 10,000. USD.

That is ofcourse, if it was made 30 years ago!! In which case it would not work!

It is considered a machine gun all by itself.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #38

OK i no dumb ? wat is the lightning link???

Old 02-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #39
LEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoll View Post
OK i no dumb ? wat is the lightning link???
http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

I am not completely sure how it operates.... but it is a flat piece of metal that fits inside the lower receiver of an AR rifle to allow full auto fire.

Old 04-27-2008, 05:30 AM   #40

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Default Lightning link

This device is a two peice assembly which uses the AR 15 bolt carrier to release the hammer when the bolt is locked forward in full battery, thereby having sustained full auto fire when the trigger is squeezed. It has no select fire capablility, unless you modify the trigger group.