How Expensive Are Full Auto Weapons?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > How Expensive Are Full Auto Weapons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How Expensive Are Full Auto Weapons?

I have no experience with full-auto weapons, but caught sight of an ad in a gun mag. The vendor seemed to sell only full-auto guns, but I couldn't believe the asking prices. Something like 16K for an mp5. All of the weapons were priced over their semi-auto counterparts by a factor of 10, it seemed. Does it really cost multiple thousands to get a fully automatic weapon?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-13-2007, 06:13 PM   #2

Default About 10 times more expensive than they should be

You are looking at THOUSANDS of dollars at a minimum. Stupid Congress critters voted to allow no new full autos for civilians ( as usual, law enforcement can have whatever they want ).

So the market place did it's thing, and all full auto's are WAY too high.

In my estimation, every Congress critter should be fired immediately and NEVER allowed to hold public office again.

Then, every law since 1967 should be immediately repealed.

Fire everyone in Congress NOW.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:23 AM   #3
LEO

Since May 1986 all Machine guns manufactured are no longer available for civilian purchase. Military and law enforcement only!! A gun that costs $1000 the military or police will cost a civilian $16,000 today.

There are a limited number of full autos that civilians can buy and each time they sell and change hands... the price will go up.

Here is a link to show you the average prices over the year.
http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/subguns.html

There are some sights on the internet where you can buy an full autos that are brand new. Some other sites you may not know what your going to get.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:28 AM   #4
LEO

Go here to see the average prices.

http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/subguns.html

You can only buy machine guns registered prior to May 1986 so there are not that many available. Every time they sell.. the price goes up!!

Old 06-16-2007, 03:38 AM   #5
LEO

I only wish I could have purchased before or right after the May 1986 ban!!

Now, civilians have to sell to each other the weapons that were registered prior to the ban and the price goes up each time.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
I only wish I could have purchased before or right after the May 1986 ban!!
Ditto, but the problem is I was only 7 in 86. If I could I would love a box full of AR15 drop in auto sears, HK sears, and registered UZI bolts . Sadly the only full auto I could afford is a MAC, or Sten and I really have no interest in them. To the OP if you really want to see expensive check out registered miniguns, or one of the few 249s, or 240s that were registered. Those bastards go for well over $200k.

Last edited by BrassMonkey; 06-17-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
LEO

I was 18 at the time of the ban.... however... I was in the Army making $600 a month and would not have been able to afford any for a few years.

Then... I never knew that I could own them!! I did not learn I could till about 2003 and then I did not have the money to pay the high prices!

I had kicked the idea of purchasing one a couple of years back but just could not justify the high cost. Then I checked again this year and saw the price had gone up from $12,000 to $19,000!! Kicking myself in the behind now.

I read that the price goes up 10-15% every year and that shows true.

So if anyone is interested... Better knuckle down now and buy one ASAP.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmons View Post
You are looking at THOUSANDS of dollars at a minimum. Stupid Congress critters voted to allow no new full autos for civilians ( as usual, law enforcement can have whatever they want ).
I am fine with the NFA. My Class III stuff appreciates about 50% per year now. It's my Second Amendment retirement plan.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-03-2007, 03:33 AM   #9

If you are law enforcement, and purchase a full-auto weapon that way, is it you who does the purchase or your department? If you can do it yourself, through the department, do you keep it after you retire?

-Brian

Old 08-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #10
LEO

As I recall....

You cannot keep it if it was registered after 19 May 1986. Civilians can only own pre-ban full autos. The ATF would never allow the transfer from the department to you.

It is possible that the department could buy one with your funds for your use either on and/or off duty but only for the time your on the department. But once you leave... the department gets to keep it.