How do they do that?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > How do they do that?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How do they do that?

Hey everyone, I had a question thats been bugging me. I dont know much about class 3, but on the forum here I have read that if one has a class 3 permit then they can buy fully auto firearms built and registered pre 1986.

Well my question is how come on tv shows about guns you see fully auto's being built new or guys getting their new AR's converted to full auto. How does that work?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Only law enforcement and military may have new production full auto.

So, unless they are mil, LEO, or class 3 dealers, they may not legally have any new manufacture.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8945 Times on 3871 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Good answer right above. FWIW, there IS no "class III" permit. Absent a state law baring ownership, if you can buy a .22 pistol from a dealer, you can by a Thompson sub machine gun. The TRANSFER of ownership is thru a Class III dealer.

Take what you see on TV with a HUGE grain of salt. Only those full autos ALREADY registered by May 1986 CAN be transferred to a private citizen. NO ADDITIONAL FULL AUTOS can be made and registered. That includes conversion of a semi. All NEW full autos can be transferred beyond a dealer only to law enforcement agencies, or military agencies.

Which is why POLICE DEPARTMENTS by M16s for about $498. If YOU want to buy one, it is about $16,000. See, they don't make those any more.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #4

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

That's I ill be applying for type 10 ffl and title 2 SOT when the time comes

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-16-2011, 02:20 AM   #5

thanks for the answers guys. I figured it was prob just t.v. magic, but you never know.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Good answer right above. FWIW, there IS no "class III" permit. Absent a state law baring ownership, if you can buy a .22 pistol from a dealer, you can by a Thompson sub machine gun. The TRANSFER of ownership is thru a Class III dealer.

Take what you see on TV with a HUGE grain of salt. Only those full autos ALREADY registered by May 1986 CAN be transferred to a private citizen. NO ADDITIONAL FULL AUTOS can be made and registered. That includes conversion of a semi. All NEW full autos can be transferred beyond a dealer only to law enforcement agencies, or military agencies.

Which is why POLICE DEPARTMENTS by M16s for about $498. If YOU want to buy one, it is about $16,000. See, they don't make those any more.
wow....they cost that much?! I know about the transfer and all the extra taxes you have to pay when buying one, but thought a full auto M16 was in the 5-6K range. then again, I've never actually priced them or shopped for them!

Old 10-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #7

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
wow....they cost that much?! I know about the transfer and all the extra taxes you have to pay when buying one, but thought a full auto M16 was in the 5-6K range. then again, I've never actually priced them or shopped for them!
Law of supply and demand. There are a very limited number of them, and the folks that have them know that they aren't making any more. Put it like this, it's like owning a 1953 Corvette.
They aren't making any more of them, and if you want one, you can't play the 'well, I'll go buy a brand new one!!' routine. You have to pay what they want, because they know you can't just find them at the local gun shop. (At least, most of us can't!!)