Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   How do they do that? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/how-do-they-do-49888/)

defender12 10-15-2011 08:12 PM

How do they do that?

Hey everyone, I had a question thats been bugging me. I dont know much about class 3, but on the forum here I have read that if one has a class 3 permit then they can buy fully auto firearms built and registered pre 1986.

Well my question is how come on tv shows about guns you see fully auto's being built new or guys getting their new AR's converted to full auto. How does that work?

willfully armed 10-15-2011 08:41 PM

Only law enforcement and military may have new production full auto.

So, unless they are mil, LEO, or class 3 dealers, they may not legally have any new manufacture.

c3shooter 10-15-2011 10:17 PM

Good answer right above. FWIW, there IS no "class III" permit. Absent a state law baring ownership, if you can buy a .22 pistol from a dealer, you can by a Thompson sub machine gun. The TRANSFER of ownership is thru a Class III dealer.

Take what you see on TV with a HUGE grain of salt. Only those full autos ALREADY registered by May 1986 CAN be transferred to a private citizen. NO ADDITIONAL FULL AUTOS can be made and registered. That includes conversion of a semi. All NEW full autos can be transferred beyond a dealer only to law enforcement agencies, or military agencies.

Which is why POLICE DEPARTMENTS by M16s for about $498. If YOU want to buy one, it is about $16,000. See, they don't make those any more.

willfully armed 10-15-2011 10:26 PM

That's I ill be applying for type 10 ffl and title 2 SOT when the time comes

defender12 10-16-2011 02:20 AM

thanks for the answers guys. I figured it was prob just t.v. magic, but you never know.

70cuda383 10-19-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 602208)
Good answer right above. FWIW, there IS no "class III" permit. Absent a state law baring ownership, if you can buy a .22 pistol from a dealer, you can by a Thompson sub machine gun. The TRANSFER of ownership is thru a Class III dealer.

Take what you see on TV with a HUGE grain of salt. Only those full autos ALREADY registered by May 1986 CAN be transferred to a private citizen. NO ADDITIONAL FULL AUTOS can be made and registered. That includes conversion of a semi. All NEW full autos can be transferred beyond a dealer only to law enforcement agencies, or military agencies.

Which is why POLICE DEPARTMENTS by M16s for about $498. If YOU want to buy one, it is about $16,000. See, they don't make those any more.

wow....they cost that much?! I know about the transfer and all the extra taxes you have to pay when buying one, but thought a full auto M16 was in the 5-6K range. then again, I've never actually priced them or shopped for them!

BenLuby 10-20-2011 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 605534)
wow....they cost that much?! I know about the transfer and all the extra taxes you have to pay when buying one, but thought a full auto M16 was in the 5-6K range. then again, I've never actually priced them or shopped for them!

Law of supply and demand. There are a very limited number of them, and the folks that have them know that they aren't making any more. Put it like this, it's like owning a 1953 Corvette.
They aren't making any more of them, and if you want one, you can't play the 'well, I'll go buy a brand new one!!' routine. You have to pay what they want, because they know you can't just find them at the local gun shop. (At least, most of us can't!!)