How to convert a rifle into a short barreled rifle legally - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > How to convert a rifle into a short barreled rifle legally

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I could be wrong, but you only need to engrave if you are building the rifle (as the manufacturer). If you buy a gun already made, the maker should already be engraved on the gun when you purchase it.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #22

Liked 708 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Guess if I ever buy one, it will either be a factory SBR or a full 16" and stay that way.

Stupid NFA, never understood why an SBR is any different than a 16". I guess because they say so.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders
I could be wrong, but you only need to engrave if you are building the rifle (as the manufacturer). If you buy a gun already made, the maker should already be engraved on the gun when you purchase it.
Correct. Engrave it if you are building it. If buying one already made, process is the same just like buying a suppressor.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #24

Liked 1128 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Correct. Engrave it if you are building it. If buying one already made, process is the same just like buying a suppressor.
Building it as in putting a SBR upper on a already built lower," not machining a lower " .
. This ^ would still need engraved on the lower. I had a PSA lower registered as a rifle , wanted to convert it to SBR , applied for the $200 tax stamp , when tax stamp came in I took lower to have my initials , city and state engraved on it .
Viola, all done . Be sure to keep a copy of your paperwork and a copy of your tax stamp in your gun case or where ever you take it with you , Keep the originals in a safe place . If you plan on crossing state line or taking it out of state you had better give the BATFE a call and let them know where your going with it and when you plan on returning. I believe this is good for almost a yr once you tell them you are traveling with it so if you make a second trip back to the same spot your covered . Its alot of smoke and mirrors and hoops to jump thru but if you want to build one I dont suggest waiting . The wait times seem to be getting longer .

Old 06-19-2012, 06:04 PM   #25

When I made a SBR last year, I took a gun already registered as a pistol (PLR-16), installed a folding stock and as purehavoc said, put my name, city and state on the receiver. It still has the same serial number as always, but lists me as the manufacturer.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #26

Liked 2490 Times on 1421 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
he is totally wrong. the batfe does not inspect tax stamp holders. they can and do inspect ffl holders. if you are out using a nfa item and someone calls them they may come see whats going on. but they arent going to just barge into your home and say "hey open that safe."

what is possible is they may knock on your door if someone identifies you using a supressor or sbr or machinegun and ask to see the registered item and stamp. never ever heard of that happening.

i keep a copy of my stamp with the registered item when im using it. the originals i keep in a safety deposit box.
Respectfully, I hope you're right.

I've heard some horror stories from

people who had some "help" from the ATF. While I can certainly hope

these till now reliable sources are wrong, I decline to take any chances

they have credence.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #27

If someone would rather be safe and not sorry over the possibility that an ATF agent - BTW, only the BATF can ask for your stamp, not some local LEO or nosy government official - could ask to see a class 3 item/paperwork, that's certainly their right and I say more power to them. OTOH, if you legally have a class 3 item (which includes having the paperwork/stamp), a visit by an ATF agent shouldn't be of concern anyway. They can't simply barge in and demand to see your stamp without cause anyway. Also, ATF can't ask to see any item other than the weapon in question unless they have a warrant involving some type of suspect activity on your part.

FWIW, I know a dozen individuals who've owned Class III items for up to 20 years (myself included) and NONE has ever been visited by an agent of the BATF. Actually, the only time I recall anyone being asked about their paperwork was a few years ago when one took their SBR with a suppressor to a gun show and a potential buyer (dealer) wanted to see if it was legal!

Last edited by rachilders; 06-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.