Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   home based ffl (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/home-based-ffl-72180/)

hoyte 09-10-2012 05:38 PM

home based ffl

Waiting on approval for my ffl but not sure where to set up where I want to work at. I'm goin to be doing gunsmithing, online sale and face to face sales. Is it ok to do this out of my garage? Or basement?

silverado113 09-10-2012 05:46 PM

I'm a home based FFL and it would depend on your setup. I have a walkout basement so there is a separate entrance that I will use once I get the pathway laid out which means nobody will need to walk through my house like they currently have to. The biggest thing is security. How secure is your garage? Its a little weird for some customers to walk through the house and I don't like it much myself.

hoyte 09-10-2012 06:31 PM

I wouldn't want customers walking thru my house. And since I would be doin appointments they could come thru the garage door. This is the part I'm not to sure on. My basement has a seperate entrance but no walkway as well. N most of my sale would be online or at a meeting spot with customer until I can afford a store front. Which leads me to another ? Does the 4473 form have to filled out at the location. Or am I allowed to carry them to a meeting place.

c3shooter 09-10-2012 06:32 PM

I have 3 home based dealers that I have dealings with. All 3 have a separate customer entrance. It is not required by regulation, but a darned good practice NOT to have folks tramping through the house.

If you are married, it will help keep the peace in the family.

Yes, you CAN use your garage- but would be sure I have a good safe and an alarm system- and good locks on the doors.

silverado113 09-10-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoyte (Post 935580)
I wouldn't want customers walking thru my house. And since I would be doin appointments they could come thru the garage door. This is the part I'm not to sure on. My basement has a seperate entrance but no walkway as well. N most of my sale would be online or at a meeting spot with customer until I can afford a store front. Which leads me to another ? Does the 4473 form have to filled out at the location. Or am I allowed to carry them to a meeting place.

You CANNOT transfer a firearm at a meeting place. It has to be at your house (place of business), at a gun show, or a sporting club event (CMP or something similar). I've been lucky as most of my customers that have come to the house are people I know or have been friends of friends or have been from FTF :D. Still as c3 said better to have a different entrance which I plan on having in the next couple of weeks.

c3shooter 09-10-2012 09:45 PM

What he said up there- you do business at your listed premises.

hoyte 09-11-2012 04:02 AM

Ok thanks for the info

Ron-O 09-11-2012 12:31 PM

I am a home based dealer. Right now everyone comes into my living room to fill out the paperwork. It does get busy from time to time so I am looking to add a second story to my garage for a shop. So far the wife doesn't mind but that will probably change soon, especially since Friday I had 3 guys sitting in the living room completing paperwork.. And now I need a display area for firearms and suppressors...

silverado113 09-11-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron-O (Post 936404)
I am a home based dealer. Right now everyone comes into my living room to fill out the paperwork. It does get busy from time to time so I am looking to add a second story to my garage for a shop. So far the wife doesn't mind but that will probably change soon, especially since Friday I had 3 guys sitting in the living room completing paperwork.. And now I need a display area for firearms and suppressors...

I picked up a display from storesupply.com their shipping sucks but its a decent product for the price. Unfortunately, I didn't have anyone around me who was looking to get rid of some display cases. You should probably check out the locals first. Here is a pic of mine: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/gun-shop-basement-69705/

Ron-O 09-11-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverado113 (Post 936415)
I picked up a display from storesupply.com their shipping sucks but its a decent product for the price. Unfortunately, I didn't have anyone around me who was looking to get rid of some display cases. You should probably check out the locals first.

Thanks, I'll take a look.