Help a Newcomer! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Help a Newcomer!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Don't Know Why?

I'm just trying to understand why? Please help me, I'm a hunter first and foremost and one shot is all you need. NOT judging, just trying to understand?Please help me?
Thanks
Mike

Old 01-28-2009, 01:44 PM   #12

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I went with a SWD M11/9, added a Lage upper & accessories, and now I have a SMG that rivals the MP5 for 1/3 the cost. I can swap out bolts in about 30 seconds, so I can run at 620, 720 & 900 RPM's. There'll be a .22 LR conversion for it before the end of the year also.

I'm a hunter too, I enjoy all forms of the shooting sports so I can get trigger time no matter what time of the year it is. Nothing like doing a FA, suppressed, subsonic mag dump. Here's why -

Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermike View Post
I'm just trying to understand why? Please help me, I'm a hunter first and foremost and one shot is all you need. NOT judging, just trying to understand?Please help me?
Thanks
Mike
Why not? You've never had an excessive hobby, just because it was fun? Never owned a muscle car, rock buggy or mud truck? Never put big nobby mud tires on your pickup, even though it only saw dirt once or twice per year? Never payed way too much money to parachute or bungie jump?

It's his money and it's his right as an American living in a free state. 3 of biggest grins that I've had in my life came from jumping out of a plane, setting off large amounts of explosives and burning ammo at a stupid fast rate through a machine gun.

If I were to use your argument against you, I'd ask why do hunters need guns at all. Man was successful at the hunt for many hundreds of thousands of years with nothing more than a spear, atlatl or bow and arrow. This proves, concisely, that hunters don't need firearms.

If you've never handled a machine gun, go to a machine gun shoot this spring or summer. You're pretty close to Knob Creek, save up a few hundred bucks and go try out a few guns. I can guarantee that you'll have a lot of fun with it. http://www.machinegunshoot.com/

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-28-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #14

No I'm not trying to start an argument, at all. Just don't understand on my part to see the why? I'm into shot groups and shot placement, where I guess some are into the noise and amount of spent shells? Again I'm guessing? Because I DON'T KNOW? Again, not trying to start an argument at all, just trying to feel the why? What does it get you? Is it a rush of excitement? Is it knowing you can and the speed of doing so? Destruction that occurs? I'm just asking? Please don't take offense!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
No I'm not trying to start an argument, at all. Just don't understand on my part to see the why? I'm into shot groups and shot placement, where I guess some are into the noise and amount of spent shells? Again I'm guessing? Because I DON'T KNOW? Again, not trying to start an argument at all, just trying to feel the why? What does it get you? Is it a rush of excitement? Is it knowing you can and the speed of doing so? Destruction that occurs? I'm just asking? Please don't take offense!
No offense taken. Some people enjoy slinging a lot of lead. Sub guns and belt feds are a lot of fun. You can practice the same grouping and placement, you just do it with 3-5 round groups, with one pull of the trigger rather than 3-5 pulls.

Sub guns can be very controllable under automatic fire. They're a bigger challenge though, to keep tight groups with. Some people get bored with one shot at a time, so they look for bigger challenges.

Others see the same appeal that the military and LE agencies see in them or are part of one of those groups. Large volumes of highly controlled fire allows for shooter to defend themselves more quickly and efficiently than the same weapon in semi-auto form.

To others still, the appeal is smoke and noise, though this usually isn't the case with suppressed weapons.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

baer45 I would also suggest the full size UZI. You won't go wrong with a vector or you can go with one of the registered reciver IMI conversions but stear clear of any RR's that have the slotted bolt. Advantages are parts and mags are cheap and there are 6 diffrent caliber changes from 22 up to 45 and you can get either closed or open bolts. And lots of accessories. They are running any where from around $6000. up to $7,500 and are very reliable. And as this is your first NFA you have complete tech support at UZI talk.com. Any thing you would ever need to know about the UZI you can find there.

Last edited by TRIGGER; 02-03-2009 at 12:58 PM.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #17

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Rugermike

It goes beyond shooting. Its even more than a select group. The NFA defined (n) number of Full Auto Weapons. They are all registered and everybody knows who owns them - including God !. Many of these weapons were manufactured in the 20's 30's 40's and 50's. This makes them more of a collectable than a machine gun. Now do we like to shoot them - YES !

Are they expensive to own - yes and just as bad as a 1970 pontiac Judge ! I shoot mine less than 3 times per year. Its like taking out that muscle car on a beautiful sunday drive. Its a more of a hobby than trying to get a 3" grouping.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #18

Default I feel at home!

Guys- your feedback is really helpful. Grabed hold of a Class III dealer North of town who is very helpful and I think I am on the right track. The dillima(sp) is between UZI and M-16. The UZI makes more sense for a variety of reasons but I want an M-16. Since I am not going to be shooting it every day like my 1911's, it looks like I should go with what I want...

Again- the feedback is VERY helpful and hope I can return the favor sometime..

Semper Fi

Old 02-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #19

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baer45 View Post
Guys- your feedback is really helpful. Grabed hold of a Class III dealer North of town who is very helpful and I think I am on the right track. The dillima(sp) is between UZI and M-16. The UZI makes more sense for a variety of reasons but I want an M-16. Since I am not going to be shooting it every day like my 1911's, it looks like I should go with what I want...

Again- the feedback is VERY helpful and hope I can return the favor sometime..
If you can aford the M16, get it other than that the UZI is a hoot to shoot you will enjoy it and it is more afordable than the M16.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #20

I went with a M16, you have a wide range of calibers to choose from 223 .22lr 9mm 40s&w 7.62x39 jsut to mention a few. The uzi is the work horse of the submachine gun world, but it is what it is, just a uzi. Uzis have no addition uppers, optics are limited, calibers are limited to 45 and 9mm possible .22 if you can find a kit(not easy or cheap to do).

My opinion is if you want a Full Auto, a M16 is the best option lots of uppers avalible in alot of calibers, you can own 1 M16 lower and as many uppers as you wish, which basically allows you to have as many FA guns as you want, just switch out the upper.