Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > *HELP* MG08/15 Parts Identification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default *HELP* MG08/15 Parts Identification

Hello Everyone. New to the forum & looking for information on some MG08/15 parts I recently inherited from my grandfather. Any information you have about the parts in the pictures below would be very helpful, as I'm trying to figure out what they are exactly before I decide what to do with them.

Barrel 1 & 2 - MG08/15 barrel, marked 'S' & '4843' on one side, 'S' & '791' on the other, w/ screw-on barrel attachment. Don't know at all what the screw on attachment is for. Doesn't look like a compensator, so any info. would be appreciated.

Receiver 1, 2, & 3 - MG08/15 receiver, marked '3760 MG08/15 Gw. SPANDAU 1917'. Receiver is in pieces, but all parts are there for assembly. Any descriptions of what each individual piece is would be helpful.

Also, any idea of the value of these pieces?

Thank you so much for your help & please ask any questions if I've been vague.

Last edited by BluezPwr; 04-02-2009 at 09:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #2

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BluezPwr

I know of the Maxim, I've seen alot of them, but I little on their operation. I'm really a Browning MG guy. But if you look here -> http://www.mg0815.com/ you should be able to learn quite a bit about them and Id most of your parts.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #3

i would like to see pictures if you have please e-mail me talonzr2@att.net

Old 04-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8441 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Regarding receiver- assuming you are in the US- that is the part that is considered the "gun". If it is a receiver for a full auto, it must have been registered with the BATFE prior to May 1986. Otherwise it cannot be, and the penalty for possession of an unregistered machinegun is severe. Does not have to be assembled nor in working order.

Now, that was not what you asked, and if you already knew that, please excuse my poor manners in lecturing you.

subgun.com has a lot of full auto shooters that may be able to help more.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

im no expert or doubt this is right...but i read somewhere on the (INTERNET)?...that if the gun was made before 1968 it (could be grandfathered in)...like i said i dont know if this is in anyway correct and dont

take my word on this....?

stay safe,keep it legal!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8441 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Unfortunately, not so. There WAS an amnesty registration period back about 1967.

Unless a full auto was registered by May 1986, it CANNOT be registered. There are exceptions for dealers, law enforcement, and military. THIS is the reason that an M-16 that is papered for civilian ownership sells for about $16,000- and the SAME M-16 that is papered for law enforcement sells for about $600. The 1986 cutoff basically said that how ever many full autos had been papered (registered with the BATFE)- that was the top number that ever COULD be. When those receivers wear out, get lost, etc, they are gone forever. Cut and Paste- research the Firearms Owners Protection Act:

"Machine gun ban (The Hughes Amendment)
As debate for FOPA was in its final stages, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed an amendment to ban the civilian ownership or transfer of any fully-automatic weapon which was not registered by May 19, 1986. However, any such weapon manufactured and registered before the May 19 cutoff could still be legally owned and transferred by civilians.

Controversy exists regarding the validity of the amendment's inclusion into FOPA. The vote to include the amendment took place at night, when many of the lawmakers who would be opposed to its inclusion were not present. Also, the vote was an unrecorded voice vote, which some contend was inconclusive"