Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Gunsmith business question...FFL related

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Gunsmith business question...FFL related

A bit of background...35+ years as a tool and die maker. Owned my own business, a machine shop, for 10 of those years, and still own all the equipment, as well as tools. I've been working on firearms for friends and family for years, mainly milsurp and hunting rifles. For the past couple of years, I've been dabbling with handguns, cleaning up sloppy factory work, stoning burrs off, etc. My friends and family have been very happy with my work.

Now, word has gotten out that I can do this type of work...but I've turned it down because I don't hold an FFL and can't legally work on things for the general public...at least that's how I understand the law. Turning down the work is painful for me, since the money is needed now that I'm disabled...I have to use a walker or a cane. I can work, but nobody hires toolmakers in my condition. The demand for the services I can perform are high around here...many of those that used to do this work locally have retired, and box stores don't offer anything more than scope mounting. The stores that do have on premise gunsmiths are backed up with work...in some cases they are months out on delivery.

I'd like to open up a shop at my residence, working on other people's firearms...basically doing what I've been doing for years. I don't expect to get rich doing it, but since I already have nearly everything needed to be a general gunsmith, as well as a more than intermediary knowledge of what I'm doing, plus the internet to find out what I don't know, I figure I can supplement the household income.

What license do I need for this? 01 or 07? I already have an 03 license, so they already have most of my information.

I've read about getting a paper signed off by the local chief of law enforcement...which shouldn't be an issue for me, since he's a fishing buddy of mine.

I have a secure spot in a dry basement to store any firearms that need to stay here while I work on them. No windows in the room down there, and I can install a steel door with deadbolt if needed to please ATF.

I'm not interested in becoming a dealer, just a legally licensed smith to satisfy the demand.

Help me help myself, please...

"A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 641 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 45

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/gunsmiths.html

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

Generally a 01 FFL is needed these links show you some of the requirements

Old 01-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #3

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

You need an 01 FFL for gunsmithing here's a thread: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/ffl-process-70478/ Unless you plan on assembling ARs for resale all should be good with just the 01, but the ATF will cover that in the interview and if there is a need to be an 07 they will make it happen.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

I won't be doing much with the AR platform...there are plenty of "experts" out there that are more than able to turn a wrench and make it worse than it should be.

I hope to be able to get to the point of building decent 1911's out of the cheaper versions out there...but that will be a few years. I think I'll need an 07 at that point. Until then, and during that time, I'll work on anything that comes in the shop to satisfy the customer and hope for them to spread good tidings about me.

Thanks for the help.

"A free people ought to be armed."--George Washington