Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Gunbroker?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gunbroker?

I had no clue where to place this thread so please move if there is a better place for it.

I am thinking about selling some firearms through gunbroker and didn't know how difficult the site is or what happens. I assume I have to list it on gunbroker then take it to an FFL and have them ship it to an FFL near the person who bought it. I also assume a portion of the profits go to gunbroker and possibly to the FFL for their shipping costs? Can anyone explain this better? Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8607 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Gun Broker or Auction Arms- similar systems- they are the broker only- they never possess any gun, and the deal is between you and the buyer.

You register with each, need a credit card. Each gets a small percentage of the sale price. Gun can only be for sale on ONE site.

If you are selling a modern gun (not antique, not muzzle loader) AFTER you get payment, you ship gun. You do not need a FFL to ship, but it needs to go TO a FFL (if crossing a state line- and a good idea anyway) Buyer sends you FFL name, lic # and address. You can verify that thru the ATF EZ Check system.

The BUYER pays shipping (state how much in the auction) and they pay FFL fee on THEIR end.

Shipping- a private citizen can MAIL a rifle or shotgun with the US Postal Service. You cannot MAIL a handgun. (Chapter 14, Domestic Mail Manual- trust me on this one) DO NOT MAIL AMMO EVER.

You can SHIP a rifle, shotgun, or handgun by UPS or FedEx. NOT from the UPS store down the street- from a hub. HANDGUNS must be shipped Next Day Air- about $70. A cheaper way to send a handgun IS to go to a Dealer, and PAY the dealer to MAIL it to another Dealer. Flat rate Priority box. You pay YOUR dealer.

Tips for auction- good description, good pictures- in focus, well lighted. Look at some of the other pictures- good and bad. Many buyers do not even search "Reserve" auctions- set the starting price as the bottom $$$ you would take, let it go from there. When you get paid, ship promptly.

Spell check yourself. I paid half of what a rifle SHOULD have sold for, since the seller listed it as a MOOSEBURG instead of MOSSBERG. I see M1 Grands, Endfields, K98 Mousers, Smith & Westerns, and Clots.

INSURE the shipment. If you sell to me, and it gets lost in transit, YOU owe me my money back. Insurance is for YOUR benefit. PACK it well- have rec'd guns with barrels poking out of boxes.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 08-31-2012 at 12:45 AM.
danf_fl Likes This 
Old 08-31-2012, 01:15 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If you are going to ship the firearm(s) yourself make it clear in your auction(s) that the items will be shipped by a non licensee to the buyers FFL. Some FFL's will not accept shipments from non licensees. Potential bidders would like to know this in advance.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 87 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 28

c3, your wisdom across a variety of topics continues to amaze m.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8607 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Oh, pshaw- and 01FFL is correct. If you DO ship yourself, put a copy of your driver's license in there so that the RECEIVING FFL has the info HE needs to log the gun into his bound book.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks again C3. Always coming through.