Got my NFA trust started today - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Got my NFA trust started today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6613 Times on 3513 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
hillbilly, what is an NFA trust? and how does it work? what are the benefits?
a trust is much like a person with a lot of the same rights but not quite. a trust basically has some legal entity rights mainly the right to posses property. the purpose is to allow multiple people to legal have control o property at the same time. in terms of nfa there are a few advantages to using a trust.

the main advantage most people see is that you generally do not need to be finger printed or photographed or have a cleo permission letter or signature to excersise your 2A rights. it also supplies a vehicle in terms of inheritance of nfa items. it also allows you to put members of your household on the trust with you so they can legally have access to your nfa items. these rules vary state to state. in wisconsin i dont need any special permissions to own sbr silencers sbs aow but for machine guns i still need a cleo letter even with a trust. it varies state to state.

you can use it just by yourself or add a child or wife or friend so long as they may legally possess nfa items. so if you add crazy uncle charlie who just got out of the penitentiary, the atf will still approve the transfer but you just broke the law. you will soon reside in prison along with crazy uncle charlie for firearms violations. it is NOT a means of bypassing laws regarding prohibited persons from possessing firearms.

llc is also a means of nfa possession but there are a lot more hoops and yearly costs to keep an llc going. personally i would not use a llc mainly because if he llc ever disolves those nfa items CANNOT be transfered to a new individual or entity. they must be transffered out of the llc before it becomes defunct. there is no inheritence vehicle for nfa in a llc.

the easiest route is personal ownership meaning you go the fingerprint photo signature but thats true only if the local cleo is friendly. if you go that route your the only person who can legally have access to the nfa items. this means that if you give the combo to your safe to your wife you just violated the national firearms act and if the batfe finds out you and the person you gave access to goes to jail.

in my opinin the trust is the safest way to go. you can add people you totally trust. my wife and i are on our trust which means she can have access to and use the nfa stuff ithout me being there.

personally i do NOT recomend interweb trust creation programs. there have been people who have had legal issues with them when contested by their state. find a nfa lawyer you can speak with in person that is familiar with nfa trusts in your state. the batfe doesnt vet your trust for you all they do is proccess the paperwork. just because the batfe sends sends you a stamp back doesnt mean your trust is a legal entity and entitled to posses nfa items.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 11-27-2011 at 05:49 PM.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 PM   #12

Liked 1288 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 621

Jon nailed it right on the head.A trust can save you and your family a bunch of headaches down the road,plus it leaves the local LE out of your personal business.
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

thanks JonM and hillbilly for the information. this was what i needed to know, because it looks like something i could use to make it legal for my wife to have access to such items. thanks.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thanks JonM and hillbilly for the information. this was what i needed to know, because it looks like something i could use to make it legal for my wife to have access to such items. thanks.
if your wife is a prohibited person dont do it. basically if she cannot legally purchase a handgun on her own then do not add her. prohibited person means those under 21, felons, drug users, domestic violence, on trial for a felony, mental patients etc.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 11-27-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Im glad i read this thread. Found one gun trust attorney and called him. His fee is $200. What about you guys fees? Does this trust make the process of owning class 3 items faster n easier? Im planning to get a suppressor for my glock19. And how long is the average wait when doing the transfer, few months? Thx for any inputs..

Old 11-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Im glad i read this thread. Found one gun trust attorney and called him. His fee is $200. What about you guys fees? Does this trust make the process of owning class 3 items faster n easier? Im planning to get a suppressor for my glock19. And how long is the average wait when doing the transfer, few months? Thx for any inputs..
Thats low average in cost. Its worth it going through a real attourney familiar with your state laws. Once you submit the app and fee its about 30-180 days. Right now rumour mill has approvals at 150 days avg.

Nfa is a paperwork and wait game. No getting around that

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Thx Jon for the info.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
Thx Jon for the info.
Your welcome but i failed to answer the middle part. It does make the proccess easier. In most states it lets you skip the photo and fingerprint and cleo signature parts. You still gotta do the bg check when you pick it up just like anyother firearm.

It doesnt make the proccess faster after submission just the steps getting the paperwork in order faster which can shave 2-3 weeks waiting on sherriff chief police signature at a minimum.

That can vary state to state as i noted in a previous post.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
It doesnt make the proccess faster after submission just the steps getting the paperwork in order faster which can shave 2-3 weeks waiting on sherriff chief police signature at a minimum.
In Harris County (Houston) you will never get the Sheriff to sign the paperwork for a FA. No matter who you are, no matter how rich you are, never. So a Trust is your only chance to get a FA, silencer, SBR, etc if you live in Harris County like about 4.5 million of us do. Now I just bought some property in Blanco County west of Austin and briefly met the Blanco County Sheriff. When I end up moving out there that guy will become a friend and I hope that a more rural sheriff will have a different viewpoint on the subject. But if not.........I gotta trust.

Last edited by NativH; 12-14-2011 at 12:29 PM.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #20

Sorry did not read the whole thread. Think I understand