Going to apply for C&R and NFA items
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Going to apply for C&R and NFA items

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Going to apply for C&R and NFA items

I have decided to apply for my c&r ffl as required in MO for me to be able to own NFA items. If anyone can tell me how long this typically takes, c&r and NFA items, it would be appreciated. One thing I have a question about is setting this up into a trust so that I may pass this down to my children, I will be talking to a lawyer about all this, just if I can have some ideas about what all I need so that I can get the ball rolling. Thanks

If we dont stand together we dont stand a chance. unknown

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 AM   #2

I pretty much answered the other questions by reading posts (should be done first I know) and browsing the atf website. How about the trust, whats is involved.

One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils of the world are to be cured by legislation. Thomas Reed

Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

You really need to see that lawyer. The "lawyer in a box" on line programs that a lot of people have been using is NOT the thing to do for a firearms trust- there have been a few folks that did not have the right format, and there were problems. That, and find yourself a good class III dealer- and a heavy duty checkbook. A good dealer can guide you thru most of the crap.

BTW, an INHERITED class III is transferred without tax if I recall correctly.

The C&R takes about 30-90 days, depending on their backlog. Transfer of Class III items takes a LOT longer.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
You really need to see that lawyer. The "lawyer in a box" on line programs that a lot of people have been using is NOT the thing to do for a firearms trust- there have been a few folks that did not have the right format, and there were problems. That, and find yourself a good class III dealer- and a heavy duty checkbook. A good dealer can guide you thru most of the crap.

BTW, an INHERITED class III is transferred without tax if I recall correctly.

The C&R takes about 30-90 days, depending on their backlog. Transfer of Class III items takes a LOT longer.
+100

but an inherited may or may not need the tax redone it depends on how the previous owner arranged ownership. my wife takes ownership if i pass on. if she does too our heirs will have to redo the proccess including tax.

i strongly recommend an attorney familiar with such legalities. online lawyer programs dont cut it and neither does your average marriage lawyer and such.

the wife and are going tomorrow afternoon to sign the final trust papers tomorrow afternoon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #5

I spoke to my lawyer today, he is also a hunting buddy and he is getting started on all of it. So, if I were to pass before my children we of legal age to take ownership, what needs to be done so that they wouldnt loose them and be able to take ownership once they were of legal age?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6022 Times on 3155 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
I spoke to my lawyer today, he is also a hunting buddy and he is getting started on all of it. So, if I were to pass before my children we of legal age to take ownership, what needs to be done so that they wouldnt loose them and be able to take ownership once they were of legal age?
you need someone of legal age that is willing to take possession until they are and will follow your wishes. for that you need a really good attorney familiar with trusts wills inheritance and the NFA rules.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #7

Default ATF keeps moving pages

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynejc View Post
I pretty much answered the other questions by reading posts (should be done first I know) and browsing the atf website. How about the trust, whats is involved.
Sometimes not easy to find

Soldier of GOD!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #8

My C&R took 4 weeks door to door...

Old 12-18-2011, 11:10 AM   #9

What does a firearms trust do? Just curious myself and father have a lot. What benifits any info would be great

Old 12-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Thundershot- for ordinary firearms, a trust does not do a whole lot.

However for NFA items (National Firearms Act- usually means full auto, short barreled, or suppressors) some folks have the guns owned by a trust. You do not need LEO approval to have a gun transferred to the trust, no fingerprints, trust owns the gun and not one person.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.