Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Going to apply for C&R and NFA items (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/going-apply-c-r-nfa-items-40918/)

laynejc 04-07-2011 01:35 AM

Going to apply for C&R and NFA items

I have decided to apply for my c&r ffl as required in MO for me to be able to own NFA items. If anyone can tell me how long this typically takes, c&r and NFA items, it would be appreciated. One thing I have a question about is setting this up into a trust so that I may pass this down to my children, I will be talking to a lawyer about all this, just if I can have some ideas about what all I need so that I can get the ball rolling. Thanks

laynejc 04-07-2011 02:34 AM

I pretty much answered the other questions by reading posts (should be done first I know) and browsing the atf website. How about the trust, whats is involved.

c3shooter 04-07-2011 03:04 AM

You really need to see that lawyer. The "lawyer in a box" on line programs that a lot of people have been using is NOT the thing to do for a firearms trust- there have been a few folks that did not have the right format, and there were problems. That, and find yourself a good class III dealer- and a heavy duty checkbook. A good dealer can guide you thru most of the crap.

BTW, an INHERITED class III is transferred without tax if I recall correctly.

The C&R takes about 30-90 days, depending on their backlog. Transfer of Class III items takes a LOT longer.

JonM 04-07-2011 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 481133)
You really need to see that lawyer. The "lawyer in a box" on line programs that a lot of people have been using is NOT the thing to do for a firearms trust- there have been a few folks that did not have the right format, and there were problems. That, and find yourself a good class III dealer- and a heavy duty checkbook. A good dealer can guide you thru most of the crap.

BTW, an INHERITED class III is transferred without tax if I recall correctly.

The C&R takes about 30-90 days, depending on their backlog. Transfer of Class III items takes a LOT longer.

+100

but an inherited may or may not need the tax redone it depends on how the previous owner arranged ownership. my wife takes ownership if i pass on. if she does too our heirs will have to redo the proccess including tax.

i strongly recommend an attorney familiar with such legalities. online lawyer programs dont cut it and neither does your average marriage lawyer and such.

the wife and are going tomorrow afternoon to sign the final trust papers tomorrow afternoon.

laynejc 04-08-2011 12:27 AM

I spoke to my lawyer today, he is also a hunting buddy :cool: and he is getting started on all of it. So, if I were to pass before my children we of legal age to take ownership, what needs to be done so that they wouldnt loose them and be able to take ownership once they were of legal age?

JonM 04-08-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynejc (Post 481692)
I spoke to my lawyer today, he is also a hunting buddy :cool: and he is getting started on all of it. So, if I were to pass before my children we of legal age to take ownership, what needs to be done so that they wouldnt loose them and be able to take ownership once they were of legal age?

you need someone of legal age that is willing to take possession until they are and will follow your wishes. for that you need a really good attorney familiar with trusts wills inheritance and the NFA rules.

suarezcm 09-30-2011 09:24 PM

ATF keeps moving pages

Quote:

Originally Posted by laynejc (Post 481099)
I pretty much answered the other questions by reading posts (should be done first I know) and browsing the atf website. How about the trust, whats is involved.

Sometimes not easy to find

lonestardiver 11-30-2011 04:01 PM

My C&R took 4 weeks door to door...

thundershot 12-18-2011 10:10 AM

What does a firearms trust do? Just curious myself and father have a lot. What benifits any info would be great

c3shooter 12-18-2011 10:36 AM

Thundershot- for ordinary firearms, a trust does not do a whole lot.

However for NFA items (National Firearms Act- usually means full auto, short barreled, or suppressors) some folks have the guns owned by a trust. You do not need LEO approval to have a gun transferred to the trust, no fingerprints, trust owns the gun and not one person.