Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   getting FFL7 tomorrow (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/getting-ffl7-tomorrow-50565/)

Mudd 10-26-2011 02:18 AM

getting FFL7 tomorrow

Hi All,
Glad to be here!

I have my ATF interview tomorrow and expect to get my FFL7 license approved. I have studied what I believe I need to know and I have gone to the ATF website and downloaded forms and other information. I am feeling pretty confident and optimistic. Just looking forward to meeting my ATF contact person and getting the interview over with and getting a few points of confusion clarified...

Anyone have any last minute advice for me?

Thanks,
Mudd

GunNut 10-26-2011 04:54 AM

Go to TTB.GOV and learn some more, then ask your ATF person about a thing called ITAR. That's the International Trafficking in Arms Regualtions and where you will have to pay an additional $2,750 per year to be Licensed as an ATF Type 07 FFL.

Good luck!

canebrake 10-26-2011 05:46 AM

Mudd, why don't you jump over to the Introductions section and tell us a little about yourself?

c3shooter 10-26-2011 10:27 AM

Welcome to the forum. During your interview, get a notebook and a pen, take a lot of notes. Interview is also a briefing you get on do's and dont's, good information you need to know.

Mudd 10-26-2011 03:39 PM

re: interview in the morning

Quote:

Originally Posted by GunNut (Post 610895)
Go to TTB.GOV and learn some more, then ask your ATF person about a thing called ITAR. That's the International Trafficking in Arms Regualtions and where you will have to pay an additional $2,750 per year to be Licensed as an ATF Type 07 FFL.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone.

I had a question about the above--why do I need that if I do not plan to import or export?

My meeting was short, she left to clarify a few things. I want to deal in guns in internet and gunshows, assemble kits, maybe down the road in a couple of years open a gun shop and have a gunsmith handy. I wanted the 07 so that I could do all of that but she felt like I did not need a 07.

She also wants the guy who is making my website and going to gun shows with me to be on the license. I don't want him on it and he doesn't want to be on it but she thinks we are like partners. He won't be a controlling owner, he is just going to give me a hand.

She will call me back with the clarifications and then it sounds like we will do the regular interview. Dang it, I really wanted this over with...

Mudd

trip286 10-26-2011 04:02 PM

I know nothing about this process, but have 2 things I'd like to say.

First: Who gives a damn what she thinks you really need? If you want it, and you are eligible, what she thinks you need should have no consideration at all. When my mom got her motorcycle license, I don't remember the lady at the DMV telling her she doesn't need a motorcycle.

Second: This guy helping you out? Pay him a couple dollars out of your own pocket and call him an employee. But only if that helps. He is an outside independent contractor as far as I'm concerned.

GunNut 10-27-2011 04:43 AM

On the ITAR fee. You do not need it; you will be required to pay it becasue firearms and ammunition are defined as Specialized Military Equipment (SME) and as Defense Articles under the U.S. Munitions list. As such any person or company who gets an 07 or an 06 is required to register with the U.S. Department of State and pay the fee.

It has nothing to do with what you want; it is an additional burden when you choose to get the 07.

There is a mechaninism for relief called a "Commodity Jurisdiction Request" but good luck being granted one; State usually refuses them.

raymond2688 11-10-2011 11:48 AM

hey Mudd i got an 01 in febuary and just received my 07 yesterday. you will need the 07 if you intend to build parts kits (this is why i got it). you cant even buy AR parts and assemble them and sell the gun without it. do not let her talk you out of it. as far as the 2700 dollar thing i am looking into that now. good luck.

Bigcat_hunter 11-10-2011 06:01 PM

I got an 07 FFL with the intent to manufacture ammunition. Bought the dillon, brass, powder, bullets etc. Then come to find out you have to pay that stupid $2,700.00 fee every year before you even make a dime. Then you have to pay an 11% tax (before you make a dime) on top of my already 30% income tax. Needless to say I will not be pursuing that venture any farther. Its a nice example of business destroying government regulation.

FFLTrader 11-11-2011 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter (Post 624313)
I got an 07 FFL with the intent to manufacture ammunition. Bought the dillon, brass, powder, bullets etc. Then come to find out you have to pay that stupid $2,700.00 fee every year before you even make a dime. Then you have to pay an 11% tax (before you make a dime) on top of my already 30% income tax. Needless to say I will not be pursuing that venture any farther. Its a nice example of business destroying government regulation.

Amen Brother