Getting FFL in Louisiana
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > Getting FFL in Louisiana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Getting FFL in Louisiana

I live in Louisiana and am interested in getting an FFL, but only to do transfers. Or at least at first. I've read that you can only get an FFL if you have a business licenses, and you have to make a minimum number or firearm transfers and/or sells in order to keep the license.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3114 Times on 1789 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Check zoning in your area.
Get the business license.
Get liability insurance.

Go to the BATF website and review the procedures and requirements.

You will get a lot of opinions by asking such questions on a forum. Some answers may be correct. Some answers may be illegal. Some answers may be someone "pulling your leg".

Always go to the source (BATF and your parish offices) and not some "barracks lawyers".

By the way, welcome to the FTF!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9568 Times on 4117 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Dan is correct. You will hear a lot of things from people that have heard a lot of things.

The BATF will require 2 things for sure- you must intend to "engage in the business" of buying/selling guns- AND- you must be in compliance with state and local laws before they will issue you a FFL. That means business license, zoning, etc etc.

There is no magic number of sales, but be able to show this FFL is not for personal use.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:01 AM   #4

Thanks both of yall, I'm going to check it out.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 AM   #5

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I submitted my paperwork a little over a month ago and I'm still waiting on the ATF interview. The big thing I've noticed is that every distributor wants a copy of your business license, resale cert, FFL, etc. If you are looking to do only transfers you would need a business license, state tax cert, everything a LGS has because you have to charge sales tax on your transfers and pay your state the tax revenue. There is a lot more to it than just doing transfers, as it is a HIGHLY regulated industry.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #6

Make sure if you do get your FFL you make a copy of it before you sign it. When someone wants a copy they usually want a signature that is not a photo copy so this will make it easier for you. Just keep signing the copies and sending them to whoever requires a copy.

"How about those Navy Seals. We're getting our money's worth there. They broke into Osama bin Laden's compound with 12-foot walls topped by barbed wire, and fired a warning shot into his head." –David Letterman

“Only accurate rifles are interesting,” -Colonel Townsend
Whelen

Old 05-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #7

Sorry its been so long, but thanks both of yall

Old 05-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I just finished my ATF inspection about 30 minutes ago. She was an extremely nice lady out of Tyler, TX office. She did make sure we intended to make money from the license, I can tell you for sure it is a deal killer if you do not. We were in kind of a good position as far as state adn local ordinances ie zoning. My county (angelina) does not have any.
Our interview lasted about 3 hours, but that includes about 45 min to an hour of B.S.ing. She wasnt interested in seeing our safe, or any other security measures, merely that we were aware it was good practice to have all that stuff.
I asked about min number of transfers adn such. She said basically there are none, other than it will throw a very large red flag if you have lots of incoming transfers and none outgoing. Be happy to answer any other questions you might have while its still fresh in memory if you want.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
I asked about min number of transfers adn such. She said basically there are none, other than it will throw a very large red flag if you have lots of incoming transfers and none outgoing. Be happy to answer any other questions you might have while its still fresh in memory if you want.
Thanks alot,,

By incoming, did she mean transfers that were for yourself or did she mean any transfer that came to you, and by outgoing meaning firearms you sell or meaning any firearm you transfer to another individual?

Old 05-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

She meant the business receiving firearms, then not selling any for long periods of time. Basically they worry there is that they would begin to think you were either buying for nothing but your personal firearm collection. They dont have any problem with collecting and even using the business to do that, however, that cant be your sole purpose for having the FFL. She also said that they have had a few in the passed that were stupid enough to do the same thing bt they were selling the guns to the Mexican Cartels. Basically with them the guns came in and disappeared as far as paper work goes.
As long as the guns are going SOMEWHERE and you keep good records in the A&D book, you wont have any issues.