Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/)
-   -   Fully Automatic Laws? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/fully-automatic-laws-49627/)

ninjatoth 10-11-2011 12:47 AM

Fully Automatic Laws?

Can someone explain to me in layman's terms the laws of owning automatic firearms?My buddy was offered a Russian made Ak-47 for $400 that was picked up in Afghanistan(i'm guessing military mission),just wondering what one has to do to own this.

danf_fl 10-11-2011 12:58 AM

wasn't it M C Hammer who said...

"Don't touch this."

Your buddy should check the BATF website. They have a FAQ section about NFA weapons that should have the answers.

moneymaker17 10-11-2011 01:06 AM

it would be cool if it was just used as display, however getting caught with it is i believe 20 years min? and 250k
sooooo
if your "buddy" ;) is going to buy it i sure wouldnt bring it anywhere period. much less buy it.
i wonder if those weapons over there even have serial numbers on them? anyone know?

trip286 10-11-2011 02:06 AM

Full automatic bring backs are completely and totally illegal to my knowledge. I'll tell you the honest truth though, if it is one of the composite stock ones that are Russian made currently issued to the Iraqi troops, I would buy it and take my chances.

I DO NOT CONDONE ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES, AND THIS WOULD BE ILLEGAL FOR SURE.

What I would do with a given situation is not always the right thing.

AGAIN, I DO NOT CONDONE THIS, I DO NOT ADVISE THAT YOU DO THIS, AND TAKE ABSOLUTELY NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU DECIDE TO DO IT AND GET CAUGHT.

willfully armed 10-11-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 598480)
Can someone explain to me in layman's terms the laws of owning automatic firearms?My buddy was offered a Russian made Ak-47 for $400 that was picked up in Afghanistan(i'm guessing military mission),just wondering what one has to do to own this.

Full auto falls under NFA rules. Civilian owned guns must be on the NFA registry and produced pre-1986. No weapons may be added to the registry, IE, guns from abroad.

I would be extremely weary of the individual attempting to sell this to "your buddy". They are either that damn stupid, or have ulterior motives.

This is so freakin illegal.

trip286 10-11-2011 02:19 AM

We were searched so thoroughly coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq, there's only one way I can think of to bring back something illegal so that AK probably smells like crap.

Not saying it can't be done, just would be very hard and I wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Willfully armed has a point, they could have an ulterior motive.

c3shooter 10-11-2011 05:05 AM

To give you a true answer (as others above me have)-

What you have just described is a Federal Felony, good for (last time I looked) 10 yrs in a Federal Pen (no parole), a fine of $250,000, and loss of your right to ever own ANY firearm. We won't go into the loss of your girlish laughter, and Sluggo, your new roomate.

As said- full auto firearms- in order to be transferrable to a private citizen, must have been registered withe the BATFE by May 1986. No additional weapons CAN be registered after that date. Which is why a LEGAL, TRANSFERRABLE AK47 is currently selling for arond $15,000. Yes, fifteen thousand. Not $400.

What do you have to do to own it? Move to Afghanistan. And tell your buddy he needs a better class of friends.

trip286 10-11-2011 05:06 PM

C3 it just dawned on me. The Afghans are freer than we are. What the hell...

anm2_man 10-11-2011 08:56 PM

When it comes to Machine guns, they certainly are.

Shade 10-11-2011 11:58 PM

For $400 it is likely only semi-automatic; or likely as referenced above a set up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 598567)
We were searched so thoroughly coming back from Afghanistan and Iraq, there's only one way I can think of to bring back something illegal so that AK probably smells like crap.

Obviously that has changed since 1991; when we docked in Hawaii, on the
way back home customs didn't get past the quarter deck. One agent walked
on board the OOD handed him our forms. He said thanks and left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 599097)
C3 it just dawned on me. The Afghans are freer than we are. What the hell...

Scary ehhh.