First Year Expectations
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion > First Year Expectations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default First Year Expectations

Alright so I am begining the process of starting my home based dealer business. I built my cash flow worksheet and was wondering for those home based FFLs; what was your "roughly" calculated first year profit?

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Most businesses don't make a profit the first year. The lucky ones make a profit the second year.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 AM   #3

That is your traditional business model, however with the lower overhead costs and the lower start up capital needed I think with sales, transfers and some minor repairs there could be a decent profit margin in the first year.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 09-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #4

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

If you are going to be selling stuff, you must have an inventory. If out of your home, no one will know about you unless you advertise. If you are going to do some repairs you will need tools and equipment. Insurance? Security? All of this costs a lot of money. And sales will be VERY slow for quite some time until you build a large customer base. You will have relatively low overhead but your customers will know that and expect low margins to match. If you plan on having no inventory and just being a catalog store I just don't see much business coming your way. Opening any business requires much thought. Just a thought, you might want to consider including a pawn shop with the gun shop. A lot of money in pawning crap. And if you only know about guns then only do gun pawns. No matter what you decide I wish you the best of luck.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #5

Thanks for your insight.

Member:

Old 09-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I have a friend that did $2300 on his first year for doing transfers. With minimal overhead.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk